Chapter 40

Rachel Lewis, owner of the Macon City Day Spa, insisted I come in, bruised face and all.

“You’ll feel one hundred percent better, I promise!”

Fighting the urge to pick up a Telegraph and put it front of my face like a shield, I decided to just handle it head-on.

When I walked in, someone gasped. Women waiting for manicures perked up and glanced around the room. Young moms whispered behind Kindles and iPads.

“Melissa, come on back!” Rachel, dressed in a slim dark suit, came and saved me from having to turn around when she swept into the room and took me by the elbow.

The hallway we walked down was painted muted shades of gold and brown and the lighting was soft and warm. A tiny waterfall graced the end of the hallway. Asian-inspired music played softly in the background. We stopped in her office, where she scanned her elaborate date book for where and when she had penciled me in.

Rachel was tiny and oriental, with glossy hair cut in a short bob, and the most flawless complexion I had ever seen. With her perfect almond-shaped eyes, she looked twenty-five, was forty, and had the grace of a dancer and the smarts of Ivanka Trump.

Just divorced from her philandering husband, Rachel received sole ownership of the spa business, a huge settlement, their beach house on St. Simon’s Island, and the couple’s Mercedes M-Class. Though it was quite the battle, she seemed no worse for wear. If anything, Rachel was spunkier than ever.

“You are the talk of the town, sweetheart,” Rachel said in a low voice. “Quite the fervor Alyssa created, didn’t she? Everyone in here today has whispered something about the Gala.”

“Never a dull moment,” I agreed.

“Poor thing, you must be exhausted.” Rachel stroked my arm. “Your sweet husband was so good tocall! How thoughtful is he?”

Just making up for lost time, I hoped.

“Well, I’ll just say this. You look pretty good after handling that little witch.” Rachel pressed her lips together in irritation. “She came in here six months ago, bossed my staff around, and then had the nerve to ask for free services because she was a WSGA anchor. Can you imagine?”

“Unfortunately,” I said.

Rachel slapped her hands together, making her bracelets jingle against one another. “If you ever get like that, don’t worry. Candace and I will take you down a few notches.”

Somehow, I didn’t doubt it. “You know, I’m just filling in.” I lowered my voice. “Drew’s looking for someone to replace Alyssa.”

“He’s such a man.” Rachel retorted. “Honey, he’s got it good now. Why would he want something else?” She pointed at her forehead. “They can’t think with this, because all they think about is this.”

Rachel made a graceful sweep of her below-the-waist area.

The thought of Drew having sex made me shudder. “Let’s change the subject.”

“Right!” Rachel snapped her fingers. “Swedish massage, seaweed body wrap, brown sugar scrub? Your wish is our command.” She steered me to a darkened room. “I’ll send Madeline right in. She’s the best. She’ll work out all of that stress.”

“Thank you.” I sighed gratefully.

“Now, slip out of those clothes and get ready to be pampered.” Rachel squeezed my hand.

“That’s great. I appreciate it so much.”

Rachel whisked away and closed the door. I shed everything except my panties, folded my clothes neatly on a nearby chair, and lay down on the warmed table. As I drew the blanket up to my shoulders, a bamboo fan floated soundlessly overhead, the blades mixing the air with the scent of essential oils.

The door opened softly. Madeline, a tall girl in her twenties came in, introduced herself, sat down, and asked me a few questions. After making some notes on a small clipboard, she immediately got to work on the tender places around my neck.

I luxuriated in the sensation of someone rubbing away my troubles. Almost instantly, I started to relax. She kneaded my shoulders and smoothed oil into my skin.

Just as I started to doze off, Madeline leaned over and whispered, “Don’t worry about a thing. We hired an off-duty Macon Police officer to stand guard at the front door.”

I smiled into the pillow.

Thanks Rachel.