Chapter 10

Cole (Dalton)-

The way she looks at me. It makes all rational thoughts leave my head. It's like she sees me. Like, the real me.
"You wanna do something crazy?" I ask her as I get off the bed. She shakes her head with that amazingly enchanting smile.
"And what, pray tell, do you have in mind?" I reach under the bed and grab a small bong and my grinder.
"Follow me." I walk over to the window and open it fully. I look back at Grace as I climb onto the roof. It's basically flat at this point, so I easily stand. She looks at me like I'm insane. Maybe I am. I reach out my hand after setting down the bong. She takes it and climbs out of the window and sits immediately next to me.
"I want you to know that my adrenaline is pumping right now." She says as she clutches onto the roof, even though the odds of us falling are very low.
"How do you think I feel?"
Oh, shit I forgot.
"Hold on." I climb back through the window, grab my guitar, then climb back out. She smiles even wider when she realizes what I'm going to do. Unfortunately for her, I can't sing in front of people without being somewhat high.

I place the guitar next to me and grab the bong. I pack it tightly, then light up. The sun started setting about half an hour ago and we can see the tiniest bit of the sunset. I glance over to her and she's just admiring the scenery. The leaves have begun to turn just slightly. I hand the bong to her.
"Okay. What do you want to hear?" I say as I let out the smoke which has an immediate calming effect.
"Sing your favorite song." She says as she takes a hit off the bong. I nod slowly.

I begin playing 'Creep' by Radiohead, but I slow it down drastically.
"When you were here before... I couldn't look you in the eye..." I start. Her eyes immediately lock on me. I wish she wouldn't look so shocked at the fact that I can sing. On the other hand, that means she's impressed. She slowly sways as I sing, enjoying the moment. When the song finishes, she takes another hit. I take a deep breath and look to her. Her eyes sparkle, even if they are slightly red.
"What else do you know?" She asks as she scoots closer to me. Her proximity causes my heart to race.
"Well, I know this one song. I'll sing it for you. But only for you." She gets a curious look. I'm suddenly nervous.
I begin playing Wonderwall by Oasis. She immediately recognizes it. As I sing, she watches me in awe. I allow all my emotions into the words. I close my eyes as I sing to her.
"Maybe... you're gonna be the one to save me...cause after all... you're my Wonderwall..."
Her eyes widen slightly, as if figuring out why I chose this song. When I finish, I set down my guitar and look directly into her eyes.

"Before I met you, I never really felt anything. I was just doing a job. Then we talked. You wouldn't leave me alone." A smirk crosses my face for just a moment. "I don't think I was ever really supposed to feel emotions. But things changed. You changed me. When I'm with you, I feel like I am alive. Like I'm my own person. That helped reunite us all. Cole, Cane, and I. We couldn't have done that without you."

She waits patiently as I struggle to say words. I've never been the best at explaining emotions. Probably because they are so irrational and make no sense.
"What I'm trying to say... Grace..." It almost feels like it hurts to say it. I look away flustered. No. I'm not giving up. I look back to her. "Grace... I am in love with you." Her eyes widen even more than before, which I didn't think possible. Tears fill her eyes and I immediately feel crushed.
"Wait... wait no. Don't cry. Did I do something wrong?" She shakes her head furiously.
"No." A wide smile takes over her face. "I love you too."
Without warning, she takes my face in her hands and kisses me, nearly knocking the bong off the roof. I kiss back and feel myself relax in a way drugs could never make me. I lean back against the roof as she leans over me. Our kisses become quick and needy. Need. That's a unique word. It implies you can not live without something. And god damn it all, I need her.

I wrap my arm around her protectively as we continue making out. A car rolls down the street, but I completely ignore it. All that matters is here and now.