II

CHAPTER TWOHENDERSON'S HENCHMEN

CHAPTER TWO
HENDERSON'S HENCHMEN

( episode 2: the mall rats )

The lulled notes of Frank Sinatra pull Violet back to Earth from a dreamless landscape.

She blinks against the slates of harsh sun striking her face through the blinds, rolling over amongst the uncomfortably hot sheets. Her measly bedside fan hums atop a stack of books, the promise of slightly burnt bacon and fresh orange juice sing out to her from the kitchen.

She tugs her singlet across her body as she stands, the carpet already hot beneath her feet. Violet still wasn't entirely convinced that shaggy carpet didn't have the potential to burn if it was under sunlight long enough.

When she peels back her door, the crisp sounds of sizzling drifts back towards her. Marge is carrying dirty dishes away from the dining table, lowering them into the sink with a faint clatter. She yawns tiresomely into the back of her hand, hair staticky from its rollers.

Tony, not at any shock to Violet, looked as though he'd been awake for several hours.

A creak in the carpet gave way under Violet's tread, her Father whipping around from the stove. His forehead was peppered with a glistening layer of sweat, hair slick with thick slathers of hair gel. His suit however, was without any speck of imperfections. Not even a microfibre of lint.

'There she is!' Tony cheers, walking towards her with open arms and a spatula slick with oil. Violet embraces him quickly with as much a laugh as she could muster, patting down his back. The waft of his cologne and fabric softener pricks at her eyes.

Tony's entire face pulls back with a prideful smile when he lets her go. 'Sleep well?'

Violet conjures a grim smile as he goes to turn his radio down. She hadn't. Not when she'd gotten home at ten, had dinner in the awkward silence on her parents, and then been forced to stay up a little longer for Tony's mandatory time together before they all went to bed. Now she was here in what felt like a blink of eye later; bleary eyed, dry mouthed and exhausted to follow through with another day of the same sort of routine. 'It's still a bit hot in my room to sleep soundly,' she replies.