Chapter 10

Maeve sniffled and slowly talked, "Stevie." As soon as the name came out of her mouth she knew she was safe and she broke down. Maeve didn't even feel the floor as her knees collided with it. Steve jumped up to comfort his sister.

"Mae," Steve started slowly. He knew how to handle these situations quite well and it was something that broke him every time.

"Robin. She- She-" Maeve tried to mumble out through her sobs.

"It's okay, Mae. It's okay. I'm here now," Steve spoke lowly as he wrapped his arms around his twin's body and pulled her to his chest. He could feel as the sobs wracked her body. Every time it seemed like she was calming down another round would come and hit the girl like a semi.

The twins stayed there for a few minutes until Steve helped Maeve to bed so she would be comfortable. "Mae, what happened?" Steve asked slowly as her breathing started to even out and the tears slowed.

"Robin- The town- She doesn't want to be with me because of what the town is going to say. She knows that they won't approve. We shouldn't have to hide the fact that we love each other Steve! It shouldn't matter what other people think! If they have a problem with me and Robin loving each other they need to leave us alone. It doesn't hurt them in any way if we're together," Maeve said all in one breath. She felt more tears coming so she shoved her head back into Steve's chest.

"I know, Mae. I know. I agree. I'm sorry I can't make everything better," Steve said with tears of his own forming in his eyes. 

Maeve didn't say anything. She just hugged her twin tighter and fell asleep on his chest. Steve fell asleep wishing the world wasn't so cruel to his little sister.

*******

Robin and Maeve hadn't said a word to each other and the fact that Maeve had to go to the mall with them made it all worse. Dustin had volunteered to spy on the room that the code had led them to that morning and he was supposed to tell them all that he saw while spying. 

Maeve was ready to quit the little adventure but Steve convinced her to stay knowing that Robin would come around eventually. They were all sitting awkwardly until Dustin showed up and started to tell them what happened that morning.

Dustin was describing the men using a certain keycard to open the big door that they had all seen. "That keycard opens the door, but unfortunately, the Russian with this keycard also has a massive gun. Whatever's in this room, whatever's in those boxes, they really don't want anyone finding it," Dustin explained while he paced.

"But there's gotta be a way in," Robin said slightly shaking her head. Even though Maeve was mad at Robin, she couldn't disagree with the girl.

"Well, you know... I could just take him out," Steve said confidently. Maeve snorted and Dustin stopped pacing as Steve finished his thought.

"Take who out?" Robin asked with a somewhat sarcastic tone.

"The Russian guard," Steve said as if they all should've believed him. Everyone just looked at him with amused faces. "What? I sneak up behind him, I knock him out, and I take his keycard. It's easy."

"Did you not hear the part about the massive gun?" Dustin asked knowingly.

"Yes, Dustin, I did," Steve said kind of rudely to the young boy. 

"Don't be mean to him," Maeve said quietly while slightly kicking her twin in his shin.

"And that's why I would be sneaking," Steve said completely ignoring Maeve. The blonde girl rolled her eyes but as she did her eyes caught something in the wall straight in front of her. The air vents.