01:12

He staggered a little.

   "I'm not saying that you love me. It's the tiny fragment of humanity in the pits of your heart." My words soothed his stupefied expression, but not entirely. "Y'know, charity love. You feed cats near your house, you pet dogs on your way to the park, you pick up an old lady's walking cane if it falls, you give your seat to a pregnant woman on the bus ── it's all love, stored in different forms."

   "This love is not enough." He shrugged. "But I appreciate your words."

   "It's more than enough. You feel this way because you're hurt," I gently nudged his shoulder, "You feel this way because your love isn't celebrated. It's tolerated."

   His eyes ached with the weight of the tears he was holding back, incapable of forming any more coherent sentences. "Ah. let's talk about something else. Why are you here?"

   "Promise me that you'll forget it once the bell rings. Or you know what, just forget me altogether once it does." I made sure my voice sounded as lighthearted as possible. "I'm here because I'm terrified."

   His brows knitted in a frown at the sudden transition of my hopeful tone to a quiet, glum one. "I can't let you be the only one who made my day slightly better. I want to return the favour, so feel free to say it."

   "Um... there's a health check-up today. And they'd make us wear the school jerseys, and—" I paused. "And they'll see the dried scratches that tattoo my wrist."

   His hand unknowingly snaked its way around mine, giving it a reassuring squeeze. His pained visage very well indicated that he was, unfortunately, familiar with it. "I'm so sorry... You can talk to me."

   I spent my first second thinking how velvety his skin was, and the second realising that the boy had been trembling when we touched.

   "Oh, no. It's not me." I mustered up the words with effort. "It's my soulmate."

   A wave of astonishment passed his features. "...Now I feel bad for mine."

   I snapped my head to face him.

   "What?"

   "It's nothing. I was just... curious about my soulmate. I wonder where they are right now. If they'll ever run into me. Maybe then I'll be able to love again."

   "When did you get your first scar?" I asked, curious.

   "When I was 17. You?"

   "Three months ago. I've grown to love them ever since." I answered, with a tender smile gracing my lips.

   "I hope the same for myself."

   I squinted hard at my wristwatch, realising that merely thirty minutes were left for the bell to go off. 'Merely', I quoted mentally. That was sixty percent of what I originally had. More than I could ask for.

   "I forgot to ask — what do they call you?"

   The boy seemed to be bewildered. "My name?"

   "Don't tell me your name. I like referring to you as stranger more." I said, a grin smearing across my face. "Tell me your nickname. Perhaps something you named your character in a game, or something you chose for your social media persona. Tell me what they call you when they're comfortable with you."

   He pondered over my long list of requirements for several seconds. "Alatus." Beautiful. "Yours?"

   "Just call me stranger. It will roll off your tongue nicely, I think."

   He was amused by the random declaration. "Let's say, I don't want to forget you. Is it okay?"

   "You're allowed to be a little selfish, I guess. And it's not your fault that I'm unforgettable." I teased, and he shook his head to himself. "It's up to you, but I'd rather not have you waste your thoughts on a girl who you might never see again."

   "Might never see again?"

   "Mhm. I'm transferring soon. Not so far away. But far enough to not run into the guy I met on the rooftop."

   "More of a reason to remember you."

   He was uncharacteristically sweet, so sweet that it made my stomach erupt into a maelstrom of emotions. I drew in a short breath. "I don't know how long a hair tie takes to disintegrate."

   My tresses flew free as I slid down the black hair tie that had been with me for over a year. I outstretched my arm to hand him the little trinket.

   Taking it from my grasp delicately, he gathered his long strands together in a ponytail, tying them loosely. I felt the apples of my cheek rise up at the action.

   "Perhaps forever."