Out of Order

Ray got out of the Wu Chang Records building after an exhausting two hour meeting with Vinny regarding the thermite and gun business. It was already getting dark out, and she had just enough time to get ready for movie night with the girls. She reached for her phone to let April know that she will be there soon, but the back pocket was empty.

"Shit, I left it upstairs in the meeting room," she told herself out loud and ran back inside the building. She repeatedly pushed the elevator button, hoping it would arrive faster. "Come on! Come on!"

"You are going to hurt yourself," Randy's voice came from behind and startled her. She composed herself quickly to deny him the pleasure of knowing that he managed to sneak up on her.

"I think I can take on a button." Ray turned around to face him.

"Yeah, right," he casually answered. The elevator finally dinged, indicating that it arrived. He passed her and held open the door, so it wouldn't shut in front of her. She raised her eyebrow at him, not believing that he was doing something nice.

"Just get in the lift." Randy nodded his head toward the empty elevator.

"The elevator?" She asked with a smile in her voice.

"The lift, man! It's a lift!"

"Say it with me, eh luh vay tr-" She slowly pronounced every syllable to irritate him.

"The fuck is eleva-tr? It's an elevator!" He put the emphasis on O.

"Aha!" A smile spread across her face since she got the answer that she wanted.

"Oh, just get in, man!"

Ray walked into the silver metal box and Randy followed behind. He pressed the 5th floor, where the meeting rooms were located, and stepped to the back of the elevator.

"What are you doing here?" She asked curiously.

"I have a meeting with Ramee."

It began to go up, and the display showed the numbers as they moved up the floors. The elevator slowed down on the 4th floor with a loud screeching sound and came to a complete stop.

"What just happened?" Ray pushed the 5th floor button multiple times, hoping that the elevator would move. She tried to press the other buttons but nothing happened.

Randy stepped behind her, peering over her shoulder at the display with a frown. He reached over and tapped his finger on the "5" button, the light remained stuck and the elevator didn't move.

The lights suddenly turned off except for the soft yellow glow of the button display, and felt like a complete mockery. Ray's panic began to rise in the tiny enclosed space with the taunting lit up buttons as the only sign of hope.

"What happened to the lights?" Ray whispered like she was too afraid to disturb the silence.

"It's either a random power outage or someone is doing the lower vault," Randy guessed, moving to the other side to give her some space. His voice sounded louder and deeper as it bounced against the metal walls.

"We can't just open the doors or something?" Ray turned around, trying to adjust her vision to the darkness, only being able to make out Randy's silhouette.

"Go ahead, tell me how." Randy crossed his arms and leaned against the cool wall of the elevator, ready to explore her ideas.

"With a tool?"

"Yes, let me find one in my back pocket." He pretended to search his back pockets, while she looked at him with her arms crossed and a bored expression, and he pulled out a middle finger. "Oh, there it is!"