Chapter 17

I do not own Vampire Diaries

[At Mystic Falls Town Square.]

"Hey, I got some candles." Caroline said as she walked up to her friends, she had called Anastasia hoping she'd come but she hadn't answered her calls so she was feeling a little upset at that.

"Hi. Hey." Elena greeted Caroline with a friendly smile.

"Hey." Matt said to Caroline, they didn't know each other well besides him being her friend's ex, which was painful to say as he lit Elena's candle.

"Thank you." Elena said to Matt, happy that they were on better terms despite what happened between them.

"You're welcome," Matt replied as he looked at her longingly. Elena turned from him to light someone else's candle only to notice that it was Stefan.

"Thank you. Hi." Stefan said as he looked at her beautiful face in the light of the fire.

"Hi," Elena responded not knowing how to react after what happened yesterday.

"Is Ana here?" Stefan asked her as he looked around for her.

"No," Elena said immediately, she was going to tell him that Jenna needed his help with Anastasia but now as she watched him looking around for her, she didn't. She hated how close they were, the way they both have nicknames for each other and how Stefan always seems happy around her, laughing and actually joking around. Why can't he do that with her?

"You know, that comet...it's been traveling across space for thousands of years. All alone." Stefan said as they both moved to get a better view of the comet.

"Yeah, Bonnie says it's a harbinger of evil," Elena said as she remembered what Bonnie's Grams said about it.

"I think it's just a ball of...snow and ice, trapped on a path that it can't escape. And once every 145 years, it gets to come home. I'm sorry about yesterday. I know it was awkward." Stefan said to her.

"You seem to spend a lot of time apologizing," Elena remarked, she didn't like the fact that yesterday the time she had wanted to spend with Stefan was ruined because of Anastasia.

"Well, I have a lot to apologise for. Yesterday, that wasn't about you, ok?" Stefan wanting her to know that Anastasia had needed him.

"You didn't tell me that you had a brother," Elena said slightly hurt, they had talked for hours the other day and she had told him all about herself and yet he couldn't even share something as simple as having a brother.

"We're not close. It's, uh...it's complicated." Stefan said, it was more than complicated but she didn't need to know the specifics.

"Always. He told me about your ex. Katherine." Elena said to him trying to find out if he was over her.

"What did he say?" Stefan asked her controlling his anger at his brother, who obviously wouldn't give up a chance to make his life as miserable as possible.

"That she broke your heart," Elena said, if she had broken his heart that meant that there was a possibility that he still loved her because he hadn't been the one to end it.

"That was a long time ago," Stefan said, more than a century ago in fact, when things had been better between him and his brother.

"When you lose someone, it stays with you, always reminding you of how easy it is to get hurt," Elena said as she thought about the loss of her parents, the two most important people in her life, she didn't she could take anymore loss in her life so she'd rather end it now then get attached and get even more hurt later on.