part one.

every year the miya family goes to brazil for the summer. they visit their aunt.

this year — they decided to invite suna.

suna rintarou has been best friends with miya osamu for four years now, since the end of their middle school volleyball days. osamu's aunt, harusa married marco araujo.

suna has always heard and seen the great adventures the miya family experience on their yearly trip from atsumu's instagram or snapchat stories. they seem memorable.

another thing,

suna rintarou has been helplessly in love with miya osamu since they met. he hopes that in this time during the summer maybe he can finally put these feelings to use and confess. problem is, osamu has been shutting him out for the past few months and suna is not sure why.

it hasn't been just him though. he rarely talks to his brother, and he doesn't even participate in his mother's movie nights anymore which he used to just love. he is incredibly silent during volleyball practice and has been acting different. he starting drinking more than he ever has before. he never cooks them breakfast anymore or talks about his dream culinary school anymore. it's like the osamu he fell in love with has changed completely. suna wants to find him and bring him back. suna just wants to understand and yet he never finds the right words or time to bring up his strange behavior. he feels like a bystander, watching his best friend slip away and yet suna just can't reach him.

suna misses the sound of osamu's laugh when atsumu does something ridiculous. or how he always complains when suna snaps a photo of him unexpectedly. or how he always makes the best popcorn when his mother sits them down every saturday to watch a new movie she has picked for them. he misses osamu.

they were seated in the plane. osamu at the window, suna in the middle, and atsumu in the aisle seat, atsumu leaning on suna's shoulder as he scrolled through his phone. hanoka, their mother, was seated somewhere closer to the front.

suna was also mindlessly on his phone while atsumu babbles on about how much fun this summer is going to be and how much he can't wait for suna to, 'get out there' more and see all the great views and attractive people. suna listens and nods occasionally but he can't help looking over at osamu every few moments, only to see him with both headphones in and him staring blankly out the plane window.

suna wishes he can read his mind, find out what happened to make him so silent. his thought was interrupted by atsumu grabbing his arm and pulling him to see whats displayed on his phone.

"this is going to be your room" atsumu said while showing him multiple photos of a bedroom twice the size of the one he has in japan.

their uncle, marco araujo, is a very successful man who grew his wealth from his very expensive boating company. almost every celebrity owns or has heard of marco araugo, where else would they host their yacht parties. thats what suna assumes they use yachts for anyways.

suna glanced over for a moment at the photos atsumu was showing him but he couldn't help looking over at his best friend.

he felt a small bump on his shoulder and turned to atsumu, "dont mind him, he's been weird for weeks. he loves brazil though, he'll lighten up. plus there are some crazy parties that i can't wait for us to go to."

suna nodded, "as long as i get to go to the beach."

atsumu laughed, "you realize my aunts house is a beach house right. she's crazy rich. by the way, your room is right next to samu's and mine is down the hall. plus there's this super fun volleyball tournament that we do and have my uncle play with us but he agreed to let you join our team instead if you're down. we lost last year and it ended out three year streak. we have to win this year"