Just another Winter's Day

Începe de la început

He could not die now. He had responsibilities. He had to protect Fawcett no matter what.

"Shazam," he whispered.

Lightning struck him, filling him with strength, mind boggling power, changing him into Captain Marvel.

The pain was gone. The wounds were all healed. He was better than fine as Captain Marvel but if he were to change back to Billy, would he die?

His ears picked up the screeching of brakes from a distance. A little girl broke away from her mother's grip and dashed across the road, in the path of an oncoming truck.

"Lila!" Screamed her mom as the truck was unable to stop in time.

Swooping in, Captain Marvel snatched the little girl away and returned her unharmed to her mom.

The joy on her mother's face was something Cap would treasure always.

How much longer would Billy live once he changed back?

A cold shudder went down his spine. He was completely new to this and had no idea how his powers worked. So far, the scratches he got as Billy disappeared and never came back when he changed to Cap. But this?

Billy was on the brink of death.

The ground shook. An old building began to crumble.

An entire side, the wall from the ground to the roof of the building was falling. People in and around the building would not make it if he did not buy them time.

Pouring on speed, Cap flew there and caught the wall. It held.
"Run! Get everyone out!" He yelled as he held the building steady so that everyone could leave safely.

Most of the occupants were gone but the Captain's keen ears heard voices within the building.

"Anyone in here?" He cried.

"My bambino!" Cried a lady.

A crawling child fell through a crack of the tenth floor as it split.

Letting go of the wall, Cap sped in and  caught the baby and his mom as that part of building collapsed.

The rest of the building shook unsteadily.
"Help me," came a voice that was sickeningly familiar.

Carlo.

There were no other voices save that one. Everyone else was safe.

It would be so easy to ignore his tormentor - To fly away and allow death to take him, but that would be like killing Carlo himself.

Forgive. That's the only way out of the viscious downward spiral.

"Help me, someone,please." Carlo's leg was trapped under a collapsed wall.

Bitterness gnawed at him, at the sight of the teen that beat Billy to the brink of death. Swallowing back his anger, Captain Marvel lifted the wall to free Carlo's broken leg.

From the corner of his eye, he saw packs of cigarettes, an empty brown paper bag and one last half eaten sausage roll on the floor.

"Where did you get this?" He picked up the paper bag and half eaten roll.

Carlo looked away.

"From the kid you robbed and beat up?"
Captain Marvel scrutinized Carlo's guilty face.

"What makes you think?... How would you know?" Carlo stuttered.

"Why would I not know?" Captain Marvel's eyes bore right through the teen.

"The kid's hard earned money meant for his meals and for a blanket so that he could survive this winter, you took from him to spend on cigarettes..."

Forgive.

As much as Captain Marvel wanted to leave Carlos there to be crushed to death as he deserved, he knew he could not.

He picked the teen up like a baby, careful not to aggravate his broken leg and flew him to the hospital as the building collapsed behind them.

He'd kept busy all day. A little old lady struggling with bags of groceries was crossing the road. He carried her groceries as he walked her home.

A pilot lost control of his plane. Captain Marvel caught it and landed it safely in the nearest airport, saving dozens of lives.

The day ended. It was time to change back to Billy and return to his corner in the subway to sleep.

Captain Marvel hesitated. He could stay as Captain Marvel forever and never change back, never feel cold, or hungry.

Or helpless.

Never bleed or die.

But would he lose touch with his humanity?
Did he really want to give up his childhood at the age of ten?

"Shazam," he whispered.

Lightning struck him, draining away his power, transforming him back to Billy

There was no pain.  No bleeding either. He was completely healed. Just very hungry having gone without food for a day. That, he could deal with.

Back in his corner of the abandoned subway, he found waiting for him, a box of sausage rolls and a thick red blanket.
On the box was a little note.