Katie

Sitting at my usual table, alone, listening to Crazy Train on my Walkman, I opened the paper bag that contained my lunch, skimmed over the usual, 'Have a good day' note from Steve, and picked the bologna off my sandwich.

I'd been a vegetarian for a while, two years to be exact, but it was easier to pick around meat, then try and explain such a "radical" lifestyle to my very traditional mother. And besides, lettuce and mustard on wonder bread had started to grow on me.

Taking a bite of my sandwich I scanned the cafeteria. Robin, per usual was sitting with the other band kids. My ex best friend Nina was sitting with the other cheerleaders, eating nothing, undoubtedly talking about jocks, and sucking up to her new best friend Chrissy. And the freshmen my brother always seemed to be chauffeuring around, in some desperate attempt to get his ex, Nancy, back, were sitting at the loser table with Eddie Munson.

Recalling our collision in the hall, I examined my elbow which was turning a lovely shade of violet.
My mother detested bruises, she said they were ugly and unladylike. It's why she had never let me play sports. Sports were for boys, she'd always remind me. I was supposed to go to school, get good grades, play the piano for guests when they came over, go to college to get a degree I'd never use, get married and have kids.

Putting down my sandwich and wiping my fingertips on my jeans, I reached into my lunch bag and pulled out a jello cup. Orange. I hated orange jello. I'd told Steve that about a hundred times. I knew I was fully capable of making my own lunch at eighteen years old, but I'd rather take the five minutes of sleep then pack it so his efforts were appreciated.

Sighing, I reached once again for my sandwich when a shadow covered my table. Startled, I looked up to find Anna Johnson standing over me.

Everyone at Hawkins high knew of Anna but it didn't seem like anyone actually knew her. She had been popular throughout elementary and middle school, then turned into a massive pot head in tenth grade. She was always nice and friendly to everyone without actually being friends with anyone.
Surprised, I removed my Walkman.

"Katie, right?" She greeted.

I nodded.

She grinned, flashing endearingly crooked teeth.

"My parents are out of town this weekend," she informed me, "I'm having a get together with some friends, I would love it if you could come."

I'd always hated being out on the spot. What was I supposed to say, sorry I'm busy? Busy doing what, watching paint dry? I'd been sitting by myself at lunch ever since Steve graduated and couldn't let me sit at his table out of pitty anymore.

"I um..." I stammered, thinking of an excuse.

"I don't have many friends and you don't either so I figured it would be cool to get to know each other better!" She interrupted.

"I..."

"If you don't want to, I get it."

What was I supposed to say, no as a matter of fact I don't want to?

"Sure! I'd love to!" I lied.

Her smile widening, she handed me a scrap of paper, "This is my address, I'll see you there."

I glanced across the cafeteria at Nina who seemed amused that anyone other then a teacher was talking to me. Irritated, I took the scrap of paper and folding it up, placed it in my pocket, already kicking myself for being such a people pleaser and agreeing to go.