Ch. 46 Sanity in insanity

Začít od začátku

"Why..." Birdie never wanted him to stop talking.

"I couldn't live in a world where you didn't exist," Wren pushed his hand into her hair and brushed his lips over her once more. "Even if death took you from me, I would search through space and time until I found you once again." 

"I love you," Birdie spoke the words against Wren's lips. His arm around her waist tightened as the corner of his mouth curved up.

"And you must know how I feel about you," Wren sighed, his smile widening.

"Say it," Birdie demanded, pushing at his chest.

"Little bird, I pulled universes together for you," Wren laughed. He spun her around and held her against his chest to show her the new Pangea he had created for her.

Birdie gasped, looking around and realizing they were standing on his balcony. Birds flew overhead and the gushing waters of the Splendid falls created misty clouds that swirled and danced.

"How did..." Birdie stared up at the birds in the sky.

"I set them all free," Wren rested his chin on her shoulder. "Look this way."

Birdie followed as Wren turned her around to face the city.

"No more walls," he said. "No more separations. The city is one now. No more high bloods, now more common bloods, no more collectors."

"You did all this?" Birdie stepped forward to the end of the balcony.

"For you," Wren said, watching her. "As I searched for you, I created a world for you to come home to."

Birdie looked over her shoulder to the fey. She turned and smiled up at him with her head tilted.

"I want to hear it," Birdie said.

"Sultana," Wren stepped forward mischievously.

"Say it, Wren," Birdie laughed. "Say the words."

"Look around you," Wren rolled his eyes. "Look at the millions of ways I'm showing it to you."

Birdie frowned, "I don't want a million different ways."

"Must it always be your way?" Wren chuckled.

"Must you always be so stubborn?"

"Yes," Wren laughed and pulled Birdie closer. "I love you, my little bird."

"There," Birdie smiled. "Was that so hard?"

"It was extremely difficult," Wren lowered his lips and let Birdie taste the words on his tongue.

"Say it again," Birdie pulled him closer by the lapel of the dark coat he was weaning.

"I love you," Wren leaned down and scooped her up into his arms. He spun her around, feeling high as Birdie laughed and called out his name. "I love you."

"Don't stop saying it," Birdie hooked her arms around his neck and pulled herself up until she wrapped her legs around his waist. His hands held her round bottom as she smothered him with kisses all over his face.

"Whatever you command, Sultana," Wren met every kiss.

Suddenly, as Wren stood staring up at Birdie, the girl in his arms froze. The smile slowly slipped from her lips as her eyes grew dim and sad. Wren's heart contracted as he sat her down on her feet and cupped her face.

"I thought I would never get to tell you," Birdie's voice was slow.

"Me too..." Wren confessed.

"You are really here, right?" Birdie asked. "Am I going crazy?"