Chapter 6

Coming back to himself in his room, Oikawa felt overcome with a strange sort of calm. Reading wouldn't help quiet his mind, nor magic or homework. He seemed to stay in a trance, staring at the flames flicker in his small fireplace for minutes, possibly hours. It was certainly darker when he looked up. These were feelings he needed to work through rather than suppress, and he did it one of the only healthy ways he knew how.

Through music.

He ran his fingers lightly along the piano's keys, a soft melody beginning. It was mournful.

He didn't exactly understand why he was running, but hoped that distance and time would be enough to soothe his inner turmoil. 

Music was a form a magic, perhaps the oldest. As he worked through the events of the day, he let his emotions run off him like so much water, the feelings coming through in his fingers, in his hands, through into song. 

He was never judged when he played, because he never played for other people. Sharing something with others could be therapeutic, but then again, it could become just another platform to beat others on, to be forced to succeed. He didn't want that to poison this. 

He heard knocks on the door, knew it wasn't his neighbours. 

Whenever he played, the dorm quieted and he often left his door open. He might not perform for others, but any peace wrought from his playing was freely given. He continued through the knock, ignored the presence at the door. 

His song grew louder, more urgent, reaching grand crescendoes, never stopping or slowing. He vocalised softly as he played as well, in his Grandmothers native language, only fitting as she was the one that taught him. It was an older version of Mandarin, the kind that would appear in ancient texts and summoning scrolls. 

If he wanted to know the magic of the east, she'd said, then he needed to know the language from which that magic was to flow. She taught him many instruments and dialects, incredibly well read for a woman of her time. An accomplished witch as well. 

The piano, though incredibly satisfying, wasn't bringing the satisfaction he craved. 

He needed more music, more sound. 

He continued to play a melody, infusing the keys with magic to ensure the melody would play continuously, before grabbing even more instruments. A mandolin, violin, cello, harp, flute and guitar. He went around and began to play each one, infusing his magic into each instrument, once they had all been played he sat on his bed, hands raised like a conductor as the instruments quieted. He huffed in frustration, tears pooling at the corners of his eyes as another knock sounded at the door. This wasn't giving what he needed. As mucha s the loathed to admit it, he wanted to party. To drink, to rage.. and to forget.

 A large drum kit complete with cymbals amassed in the air, Oikawa's mind calmer as he split it in many different directions. He drew from the sigil carved into his floor, by mages past, one that lead to a place very different than his dorm, an old secret he had discovered.

Perhaps it had been a faery dancing ring once, for the magic infused in the place was old, and the music seemed to come from everywhere. Now it was a nightclub, somewhere only accessible with the largest culmination of musical energy possible.  Somewhere he very rarely went, but oh boy, when he did... 

With a loud crash of the symbols, his new song began, his body dropping into the portal. 

~~~

What had seemed to be a sonic shockwave of sound stupefied Hajime, the werewolf flinching back. 

There was a collective groan from the whole dorm, mages, hybrids and every kind of supernatural poking their head out to verbally abuse Hajime with varying degrees of anger.

"You just had to make him leave. Right as he was building up to a symphony too!"

Hajime frowned at the small disgruntled fae. 

"What, does he do this often? I thought it was meant to be silent int he dorms after lights out?"

"Yes, but no one is going to dob in Phantom of the Opera in there. His performances are legend. A one man orchestra, and his music is magical too. A very rare skill, it puts you to sleep, wakes you up, and then tosses you out a window. It's like musical fucking heroin. And you just scared off our supplier, nitwit."

Hajime bared his fangs at the girl, and she hissed back at him, slipping inside a door a little ways up the hallway. 

He found himself wondering where Oikawa could have possibly gone, what with a whole music store in tow, but yelped as he heard that same musical shockwave, drifting further and further away. 

When he looked out the window his suspicions were confirmed. Judging from the direction of the music, and the solidification of the large barrier protecting the school, Oikawa was definitely in the sky. 

Somewhere.

"Well, fuck."

~~~~~~

Oikawa was enjoying dancing, his instruments still playing loudly, with a song he had crafted up here many years ago.  Of course his instruments were left in the dorm, and playing away happily. But their sounds were being projected up here, moving around him in an ever quickening pace.

That was the best thing about being at a magic school, everything was enchanted. 

He was on a stone circle, resting right at the top of the domed shield that covered the school. It was covered in flowers, in little ceramic tiles with the same flowers pressed into them. He had discovered ages ago that while the portal on the floor got you here, a specific dance was needed to unlock the garden. Or the circle, whatever the fuck it was. he didn't know, didn't care. Just knew it was the closest thing to a nightclub he could get this far removed from human civilisation, and he needed to dance, sing and play his feelings away.

Drink them away as well? Maybe.

Kiyoko had a similar portal in her room, one that corresponded with the gardenia flower tile. He stomped on it, speaking the magic words, and Kiyoko fell upwards out of the tile itself, dishevelled and cranky, but before she could protest Oikawa was dancing along all the tiles, bringing up all twelve denizens of the rooms the tiles had the access to. Once they were all present, the space seemed to shift, and before they knew it they were at some deep dark part of the forest bordering the school. 

Somewhere impossible to get to unless from here.

Oikawa didn't even wait, he started dancing immediately, his song still blasting through the clearing, the forest coming alive with the sound.

The others began to protest, they were in the pyjamas for fucks sake, but their protests fell on deaf ears. Oikawa didn't give two shits, and unfortunately for them all twelve needed to be present to get form the barrier to the glen.

The space filed with dryads and nymphs, druids as well, all drawn to his music, still being projected in here, even as it peetered out. They took up their own instruments, and no matter how annoyed the others were, a faerie song was too powerful to resist. 

Soon they were all dancing, some in their school uniform, others in barely anything. Pretty soon they wouldn't care, anyways. 

With the bonding hormones finally dissipating, Oikawa's brain felt calmer than it had all day. The panic he had felt momentarily, the sense of fear at being in a life long bond, even his feeling of contentment in the workshop this morning were gone. he may be tired, he may be still hungover from yesterday, but his magic was better than that. It would keep him going.

 Whatever he asked for it provided, and tossing his head back with abandon, he drank and danced his life away, forgetting about his mates, if just for the moment.