"So then answer my question."

Evi took a deep breath. Part of her really wanted to tell him that she was going to see her promise through. Her pride and ego flared at the moment, and she wanted him to see that she wasn't all talk without any action. But what would that prove—to her or anyone? She said she would go on this Journey to find answers about what was going on, but she didn't know if she would be able to complete it. She could probably take the first few steps, but after that, she had no idea if her resolve would stay intact. And with as much as he didn't know her, she didn't know him. It wasn't like she owed him any loyalty or had to make sure he was taken care of. She could let him head out and find his own answers, but that wouldn't take the target off her back.

She laced her fingers together and placed them on the top of her head. The two of them sat in silence for several long moments, each staring at one another. She knew what he wanted to hear, but she didn't think she could say it. She took another breath and dropped her hands into her lap.

"Honestly, Liam, I don't know. I don't exactly have the skill set and experience to deal with this type of situation. There's a reason I'm here."

Liam turned so that his knees touched hers, and he placed his hands on her legs. "What the hell is going on? I remember what happened, but I can't wrap my brain around what it was. I mean, did I really see lasers? And swords? And people turning into...I don't even know what."

"Sadly, yes, you did. It's a long story, but now isn't really the time to get into it. We need rest." She took another breath. "If nothing else, I have to try to find the answers for what happened to you, but know if I don't follow through, it's not because of you. It's me. And I'm not just saying that. I'm pretty sure there's something wrong with me, which will make more sense when you know my background."

"Just tell me one thing: are you human?"

Evi shook her head. "No."

"Are you whatever those other things were?"

"Wulanin. And no."

Liam closed his eyes and let the information sink in for several moments. He nodded, then opened his eyes once again. "In the end, you still chose me, so I guess I can take that as a compliment. Though after seeing what that guy turned into, it doesn't really fill me with confidence."

Evi placed her hands on his forearms and leaned forward so that she was inches away from his face. "I may not be human, but I'm not a monster, either. I'm just...me." She shrugged. "Honestly, I don't even know what that means. And I don't know if I'll ever find out, but..." She didn't know how to finish that sentence.

Liam closed the distance between the two of them and gave her a soft kiss on the lips. The warmth from his body traveled to the center of her chest and settled there, giving her a small sense of comfort and support.

"Looks like you and I are in the same boat right now. I guess all we can do is see where life takes us. Even if you don't see the journey all the way through, I'll relish the moments you were there with me."

Evi felt her throat tighten at his words, and she tightened her grip on his arms. Again, the desire to tell him that she was going to see the Journey until the end and make sure he was restored to his former glory coursed through her, but she couldn't get the words past her lips. Lying would have made the situation so much better, but she couldn't bring herself to do it.

Liam broke away and situated himself back on the couch. Evi pulled her legs under her and laid back down on the recliner. Placing her hand under her head, she watched until Liam's chest rose and fell with steady regularity, indicating he had fallen asleep. She then closed her eyes, but she never drifted back into the deep sleep she desperately needed.