Hate the snow

Wilbur woke up freezing cold. He sat up from where he was snuggled next to Tommy, wrapped up in a sad amount of blankets. Purpled was already awake and organizing their supplies. His eyes, the only thing you could see of his face, met Wilbur's. They stared at each other, neither moving.

They were alive. They were alive and others probably weren't. And now they were deep in the forest with seemingly no where to go.

Purpled was the first to move. His hand stretched out and offering, dried jerky clutched between his fingers. Wilbur gently took it and chewed on the bland meat.

The royal guard had always been a mystery to Wilbur. They had hired him four months ago after the guy had been hired to kill them and failed.
Barely.
Now, he follows them around and makes sure no one else hurts them. And is frustratingly good at it considering he was ready to murder them not that long ago.

What Phil was thinking when he hired a person they knew nothing about is beyond him, but hey, at least he is good at his job.

"When can we go back?"
The guard shrugged, his expression almost unreadable under the large dark grayish purple cloak and black mask that covered his mouth and nose.
"Not sure. The current plan is to get to somewhere safe and try to contact your brother or father."
"What? We can't seriously just leave."
"Yes we can. It is the safest option."
"No! I don't want my empire to fall apart. I won't let it go to ruin."

Purpled stilled.

"It's not going to fall apart."
"Really? Because I remember this same thing happening to the Lavender kingdom. Their castle attacked and now their nation is still without a ruler."

He remembered the fall of the neighboring country quite well, it only happened nine years ago.

"What do you mean by that?" Purpled wasn't looking at him.

"I heard that they never found the bodies of the royal heirs and that a maid reported seeing them flee to the forest. Their country was torn apart because they abandoned it."

"Wilbur, I used to live in the lavender kingdom. It was my home. If, and I mean if, the royals did somehow escape, I hope they are happy and alive and safe. The oldest heir to the throne was fourteen when their palace burned down and their parents died. He was younger then Tommy is right now. What happened to the lavenders is not like what is happening to you because I know for a fact that philza and Techno are too stubborn to die. So shut. The. Fuck. up."

Wilbur's jaw shut with a clack.

He thought he did as much research as possible on the Lavender fire but it was only now he realized he never knew their ages. His stomach sunk at the thought of Tommy being alone and ruling the empire.

Purpled didn't let him dwell on it.
"We're leaving in ten minutes, wake up Tommy."

He remained silent as they went back to marching in the freezing forest on their way to an unknown destination.