our caves collapsing - foxxay

Start from the beginning

"Ya alright?"

"I'm fine."

The bed dipped once Misty sat down. This was the one time you wanted to be alone. Away from the person that was taking away your mother from you, in a way.

In a big academy like this, it was starting to feel like you lived in an entirely different home from her.

"Um...I just wanted to check in with ya. Ya seemed a little...sad and distant lately." Misty was hesitant to speak, it was obvious.

"Ma, I said i'm fine."

Your own voice betrayed you. The crack throughout your sentence, and a quavering sound was a dead giveaway.

"Ya clearly not though. I just wanna help in case ya...I don't know, don't want to talk to ya 'real' mom about whatever's buggin' ya."

You covered your mouth to contain your own sob. It was no use, Misty saw you do it, and could hear the whine when you tried so hard to suppress it.

Misty brought her ring hand up to your face and moved away the hair sticking to your tears.

"All I wanna do is talk to mom, but I can't."

"Well, of course ya can. Ya know, ya mother loves ya more than anything" Misty assured.

"That's the problem, it doesn't feel like that because...because..." You couldn't even bring yourself to say it. Couldn't hurt Misty's feelings, when clearly all she wanted to do was help. You knew it wasn't intentional, taking Cordelia away from you.

"Oh, sweet pea, I- I'm so sorry."

"It's not your fault" you said promptly, before she could get the wrong idea.

"It is. I didn't even realize."

"It's not. I just feel like...maybe it's because I'm getting older, she doesn't really care about me anymore. And now she has you, and you're like her everything."

"Well, i'm not her everything darlin. I don't want to be her everything because that means ya wouldn't be apart of her." Misty breathes in deeply, and chooses her next words carefully. "I think that ya mother has a big enough heart for us to split, but she has, and I will admit, caught up in all the extravaganza with the wedding, the honeymoon, the dates. It's a lot on everyone, and maybe we should've taken ya feelings into consideration, that's one of my biggest mistakes."

You fully turned your body around, and rested your head on Misty's lap. She started to play with your hair, and was careful to not tangle her rings in any strands.

"I love you so much, ma. You've really been a great stepmom, and I wouldn't change it. I wish mom would just hang out with me again" you said, a few tears dripping onto Misty's nightgown.

"I love ya too, baby. So much. Why don't we go talk to mom about this? She's just sitting in bed reading, i'm sure she won't mind."

You immediately shook away the idea. Confrontation was one of your fears, and having to talk about your feelings to her seemed worse when they were concerning her.

"No. I don't want her to be upset with me. Let's just keep this between us."

"If we keep this between us-"

"Then nothing will get fixed. I know. Mom tells me that all of the time" you finished for Misty. You just couldn't fathom the idea of being told that again. "But I just don't want her to think i'm being dramatic or sensitive or anything."

"Dramatic? Sensitive? Ya mother cried over an old people commercial last night, I don't think ya the sensitive one here." You laugh. You genuinely laugh, and it feel like old times. Sitting in bed while you're mother attempts to make you laugh after a hard cry. Except this time, it was Misty. This time, your mother was in the other room, probably not even thinking about you, you supposed.