Bite the Bullet Chp18

Start from the beginning

"Blade, you're a moron to think I'll be mad at your promotion, dude am your bro," Troy said then gave me a hug patting my back a few times.

"I am happy, am sure your old man is flying right now,"

"I am sure he already knows I was promoted," I told him when we parted.

He nodded," This is good, now you're a rank higher than mine," I laughed saying, "Soon you'll kick Zach, and be the Sergeant,"

"Yeah, but he'll be something else," Troy grimaced and then chuckled. "Wish we could celebrate,"

"Now, I don't think so. Besides you were more than happy to shove me around in the promotion ceremony," this made him laugh as the memories of an hour ago rushed in.

"It ain't funny, you grabbed my hands behind my back, and all you idiots punched my chest. And you," I pointed my finger at him in accusation.

"Delivered a punch harder than anyone," I glared but knew there was a smile in my eyes.

 "We had worse plans for you," he snickered.

"What's worse than you ruining my suit with crap while I was on the ground?" I demanded, turning around and sitting on the plastic chair.

 "Well...we wanted to wrap your body with duck tab and leave it out in the rain," I knew he was trying hard not to laugh.

 "Oh I'm glad you didn't cause once I was out of those duck taps I would have kicked everyone who was in this prank with you," I threaten, then ended up laughing. "It was fun, I am glad everyone had something else to think about,"

"Zach was proud of you," Troy said sitting across from me.

"I'm sure he doesn't want Colonel to see how wants to punch me in the face,"

"Maybe," I knew Troy wasn't jealous but it made me sad he wasn't with me. Everything that happened in life it happened with both of us. At least such big occasions did. Things were changing little by little and I didn't like them.

**

It was raining fast, the drops hit my face softly, as I stood there in the cold night, outside the medical tent, brushing off the insane wind around me, which stuck my clothes to my body almost making me freeze on the spot, and still I waited patiently for Ava to come out.

We were here for four days, every day my every spare minute that I had, I spent with Avalina, even though that meant having a little sleep, but I didn't care. I just wanted to be with her, wanted to know her more, being around her felt so, so right that leaving her was agony. Tomorrow my team was moving out again. I couldn't wait to spend more time with her.

I was in my combat suit, without the helmet or rifle, desperately waiting for her to come out now. Troy was resting back at the tent; apparently, he also wished to patrol here keeping me company. So, I waited welcoming the cold rain. I shifted my weight to my other leg, and that's when the flap of the tent opened as Avalina rushed out and then walked toward her tent.

 Shading her eyes with her right hand, she jogged. I followed, somehow feeling like a stalker, but I was far from it. Mud splashed on my shoes, we passed tents and I was almost behind her. There was no one around us, which was something I was glad to have. I noticed her wearing the shirt I had given her months ago; the fabric was clinging to her body, water dripping. I feared she might catch a cold. Well I was soaking wet and I didn't give a shit about it, all I wanted right now was to be with her.

 Avalina turned another corner and I followed soundlessly. Then I quickened my pace was just a feet or two away from her. I grabbed her wrist and spun her around. Avalina gasped, was about to yell, but when her eyes fell on me, she threw a hand over her mouth preventing the scream from cutting the air.