Chapter 1

Atticus POV-

Here I am again, in the same old room, waiting for the same thing to happen. Someone to come get me and force me to fight little defenseless puppy to 'train' them in the ways of the dog fighting world. Here, it's either kill or be killed. Most of the dogs here don't have a choice. Like me. When I was taken from my mom, I was told that my owner would love and cherish me forever, but that isn't the case for me. My owner didn't even give me a name. I'm called Ripper here but I don't really like that name. The only reason I have that name is because of how I fight. I was taken from my thoughts as the door to the small room is thrown open.

" Come on you useless mutt. Time for you to make me some money, " my owner, Dave, states as he roughly grabs my leash, if it can even be considered a leash. Its basically just a chain wrapped around my neck. (Up top). As we walk down the dark and narrow hallway, I think about what life would be like if I was chosen by someone else. Would I have a loving family? Would I have human brothers and sisters to play with? Would I get fed everyday? Would I have a bed and toys to play with? Would I get treats?

All to soon we arive at the door leading to the pit. I wonder who I have to fight today. As we walk inside, the crowd starts cheering " Ripper! " As we walk into the pit, I notice a skinny little bulldog huddled up in the corner. Dave removes the chain from my neck and I walk away from him. I hate this part.

- Skipping the fight because I physically can't write that -

After the fight, Dave leads me back into my cage and I lay on the floor and lick my wounds. After I am satisfied that my wounds are clean and aren't going to get infected, I fall into a dreamless sleep.

All to soon, I am awoken to Dave trying to unlock my cage as fast as possible, but after a while, he gives up and runs. Only then am I able to hear the sounds of humans and animals screaming. I immediately know some things is wrong. All of the sudden, the doors fly open and people cun running past me. Some of them stop to unlock the cages for the dogs to escape, others just run. Luckily, someone stops to unlock my cage. As soon as it's unlocked, they runn away.

I wait until the crowd has gone through and then I slowly open the door to my cage and crawl out. I look around and realize that all of the dogs have been let out except one. It's a little Akita puppy. I walk over to the cage and I somehow managed to open it with my teeth. I look inside at the puppy who is curled up in a ball in the corner. I have to get it out, i can't just leave it here.

" Come on, little one. It's okay, I won't hurt you, " I say, trying to coax the little puppy out. Slowly, it inches out and looks at me so I can get a good look at it.

It's the cutest thing I've ever seen

It's the cutest thing I've ever seen. The puppy, who I now know is a boy, looks at me and says, " Hello. My name's Rogue. " I smile and say, " Hello Rogue, you may call me Ripper. Come one, we have to go. Don't worry, I will take care of you. I won't let anything happen to you. ". And with that, me and Rogue left the pit, hoping to never come back.

If only we knew what the world was turning into outside of those doors.