Chapter 9

I lost him. I looked around frantically through the dark. I had never felt so alone in my life. I couldn't yell his name because the police would hear me and take me away. Tears began to stream down my face.

Suddenly, I saw a small light. Then another. Cops. I could tell. I slowly creeped behind a tree. I began to pray they wouldn't find me. I knelt down behind it. My breathing was heavy. I put my hand over my mouth to muffle the sound.

Then out of nowhere, a hand grabbed me from behind.

I woke up startled and breathing heavy. I sat up in bed and looked over at the clock. It read 8:27 a.m.

I ran my fingers through my bangs to get the hair out of my face. I took a deep breath and slowly sunk back into bed. I laid my head on my pillow gently. Just when I got comfortable again, the door flew wide open. The lights flicked on. I turned my head to face the pillow. Then, I grabbed another pillow to put on top of my head. To top it all off, I covered my whole head with my blanket.

"Get up. We're going shopping." Kelsey. Why are we going shopping? And why this early? I refused to move.

"Later." I mumbled trying to fall back asleep. Seconds later, the blanket was removed from the bed and the pillow on top of my head was thrown across the room. I balled up like a cat and held tightly onto the pillow I still had. My eyes were still closed.

She stepped onto my bed and started jumping. It was really annoying. She jumped right next to my face too. The whole time she jumped she said "get up loser" so loud that it boomed in my ears. After what seemed like hours of this torture, I finally sat up.

"I'm up. I'm up. I'm up. I'm up! Dude. Seriously I'm up." I said trying to get Kelsey to stop jumping.

"Get out the bed first." Kelsey pushed. I groaned and slowly got out of bed.

"I'm out now." I grumbled. I slowly turned my head to look at her as I breathed in loudly. She smiled. I rubbed one of my eyes. "Why are we going shopping?" I asked trying to keep my eyes open. She looked at me like I was stupid.

"We have to wear something cute tomorrow" she said as if it were obvious. I raised one eyebrow. She was still standing on my bed.

"Why? I never dress nice to parties.." I said slowly. It was true. I always showed up with a t-shirt no matter what. If it were summer, I would wear shorts. If it were winter, I'd wear leggings. I always thought it was weird when people dressed really nice to parties. She thought about what I said for a second, then she squinted her eyes.

"I thought you said you didn't like parties." She said firmly. Oops. Think of something. Think of something.

"Just because I don't like to go to parties doesn't mean I haven't been to one." I said as if it were obvious.

"Oh!" She said. I could tell she wasn't completely sold. She shouldn't be. "Well. You obviously haven't been to many parties because everyone dresses nice." She said. I nodded and got up to walk to the balcony. I picked up the watering can and walked through my room to the bathroom. As I filled up the watering can, I looked over at Kelsey. She had a confused look on her face. "What.. What are you doing?" She asked confused. I smiled.

"Your mom told me I had to water the plants everyday." I answered. She rolled her eyes.

"Of course she did. She loves her flowers." Kelsey said. I nodded and walked over to the balcony and began to water the flowers. "So what are you gonna wear to the mall?" Kelsey asked finally sitting down. Hmm. She's probably wanting to pick out my outfit anyway.