Chapter 31: A Plea

Start from the beginning

However, fate is mighty cruel. As Romand and I came face to face with a human, his sword in hand and his body dashing towards me to strike me down. I remember feeling a tug as Romand dragged me away, his own body lurching forward and towards the human. I felt something rising within me, something that I had never felt before and I haven't felt since.

Something that caused the man before me to explode into a million pieces. His body flew everywhere and splashed Romand's face. I couldn't tell you much of what happened during that time. Only that my mind still seemed to be in trying to protect and save Romand and my fellow demons.

Romand would tell me later on that after that encounter, my eyes started glowing, their bright lilac color shining and lighting up the otherwise dark night to create a portal before his eyes. And, as if sensing the protection that it was offering, demons would run towards the portal and into the new world that I had managed to create for us.

I don't know how I did it or why, but I knew that it was the only way for me to save my race and save Romand. After I had managed to create this world and drag every living demon into it, Romand says that I collapsed and slept for days. During that time, the demons struggled to work together, to create a world after their previous one was taken. When I woke up, I started to instruct the demons to create our new world so that we would be able to live there. It took a long time, especially because many demons wanted to go back and fight. To avenge their loved and lost ones. Though I couldn't let that happen, considering how much we lost during the short time we were in the fight, it would only be suicide to attempt it again.

It was especially difficult because, during this time, I urged Romand to go back to our home above. He hated the thought, hated the humans who betrayed us and hurt those that he had always loved. But I told him that it would be for the best for him to connect with them, that way we can somehow gather intel and be able to once again take our world back. Stating that he was the only person who could do it, considering how strong he was and that he was a human that I know would never betray me. Though I knew he would come back and visit, which he did weekly, it still hurt knowing that he wasn't within arms reach of me.

Regardless, we persevered. We continued to create a world in the Underworld. Supporting each other and figuring out ways to grow stronger so that one day we would be able to go back up. Romand was a lot of help. He and so many other humans volunteered to bring food and supplies to us so that we didn't have to completely start from scratch.

Of course, though, it won't last.

As I'm sitting here, writing this, I know what's going to happen in the future. What's going to happen to me, to Melan, to Iban, and, of course, to you... to some extent. I know that I will die within the next few days, causing a complete severe between humans and demons. I know that this starts with a betrayal where humans will infiltrate the Underworld and attempt to kill us all, managing to kill me in the process. Though, I know that it'll be a catalyst for a great future. ...I know all of this, and yet, I can't help but feel like I don't want to let go. I don't want to lose Romand, to vanish from his sight. I know that once you two find each other, it'll be okay, but I can't help but think about the things in between. The stuff I can't see. The future that is uncertain. My life without Romand -

"Zing?" I paused in my writing, looking over at my lover. His whole body was aglow beneath the moonlight. The red hickeys were bright and shining against his otherwise pale skin. His hair was a mess atop his head as I watched his body slowly lift up, the covers falling from his chest to reveal the lack of shirt that lay beneath. His hand came up to brush against his right eye, before they both fell on me, the moonlight revealing the worried look those green stars were giving me. "You're crying." I was taken aback by the statement, but as I blinked, I could feel the wetness on my lashes as the tears cascaded down my cheeks and landed on the place where I had just finished writing. On Romand's name. I watched it smudge up the lettering, causing it to become an almost blurry mess.