Chapter 2

Since that day it was the beginning of this extraordinary life.

After that meeting, everything has changed. Patients stopped dying in my hands. I managed to pull out even the most hopeless cases. Relatives of the patients thank God for guiding me. And I can only mentally laugh at this evil irony.

If only they knew who they supposed to be grateful ... Later I discovered this side note- I could perfectly master any craft that required precise movements.

I either lost the rhythm, or beat past the keys as I know how to play the piano, something which my mom taught me. Now I play a work of any complexity. Without prejudice, I can say that I have golden hands. But it hardly brings me satisfaction. I didn't believe in the existence of the soul.

But from that day on, I feel like I started to doubt. Thomas did not deceive: I, as I myself wished, now saved lives. And that meant the deal was done. I paid the quoted price, but I still didn't know how much it was. As long as I can breathe, I will use my dark gift. Each person I saved makes that ill-fated exchange more and more profitable. My sacrifice will not be in vain. I may be lost, but at least I can help others. But from that day on, I feel like I started to doubt.

Since that day I became numb to any pain of death or losses or any earthly affection. I considered myself as an ardent doctor who is vowed to help people. Days turned into months, months turned into years, years turn into decades. Still, I'm the same one who got myself into this deal: The price of sacrificing your soul.

And the one who made me do it, as I suspected it and was right A devil in disguise, also for a good reason.

One of the rules that is bestowed for me after I entered into this life: I couldn't let anyone too close, even if I wanted to. This was the price of immortality: Eternal loneliness. But that's okay. Loneliness became a great friend of mine.

I'm not someone who opens up, prefers to conceal myself as this comfort me. I found that comfort in my loneliness. Sometimes for compensating the loss, he'll come, but occasionally. The one who granted me this gift.

*1914, London*

"Something's bothering you, my friend." Thomas asked while we are having tea in my home. As the camouflage in him hides inside he still prefers earl grey like me.

"I... No... It's just... As the assassination of the arch Duke happened, this might lead to ..."

"War..." He said after a pause and I shooked my head. "Yeah sadly, but before everything gets worse, why don't you come with me?"

"Huh.." I widened my eyes. What this guy wants? I smirked. "Hmm, don't tell me, you have something in mind."

"Actually I have. I was wondering if we could have a pleasure trip to Europe. Well, I know you would say no, but you seem down."

"Thomas, it's crazy. What should I do with my patients? You see, I'm afraid it may even get worse when the war took its course." I shooked my head and clasped my hands.

"Not yet. Let's just visit some small towns. For instance, in Belgium. I'm sure it will be great. There is not only you as the doctor in the Charing Cross. Your assistant will be in great help."

"Well, fine. Have it your way then."

I shrugged my shoulders and sighed. This man has a way to convince me with words. Afterall I need a change of ambience. "When will we leave?"

Thomas rolled his ebony black eyes. Reflecting a nature of cold aura at me. "Hmm, in two days time. How does that sound?"

"Definitely. To the capital or..."

"Brussels? Hmm ... But you prefer quiet places. How about Himword? Peaceful village. For Brussels I have to say, it's surrendered to the Germans."

"Hmm. Fine."

Two days later we set off to go to Belgium. We first travelled to France, admired the French beauty in Paris for a day and booked a train to Belgium. The beautiful countryside of Belgium awestruck me, if there was no deal or any helpless situations I could've stay here forever. Even to have a family of my own. Immortality forbids me, immortality making me run away from people.

"You seem quite occupied by thoughts." Thomas asked.

"I feel something bad is going to happen." I said to him and furrowed my brows. It's somehow near and I can feel it.

Thomas smirked with an evil glint on his face. "War will come and go. It will pass. People just annihilating each other for the sake of power. Let's forget about those for sometime."

I nodded and looked outside the window watching how the tall trees passed before us.

In the evening we reached Himword and decided to find a place for rest. After enquiring with the villagers of Himword somehow I heard that their doctor in the hospital ran away. What a coward? Just as the war declared he has the audacity to ran away? I felt sorry for the villagers. Even more hilarious is that he ran away with a nurse who worked in that hospital.

There is no doctor. If there is doctor how will these people survive? I asked myself. I said to Thomas, "I ... Want to stay for a while. I can't tolerate this. These people need me."

Thomas nodded. "Fine. Let's stay. I will not abandon my friends and you are one of them."

From that day onwards I became the doctor of their hospital. To my surprise, there is a tavern in the heart of the street run by a middle aged man. I entered there with Thomas and we introduced ourselves. "Peter De Reute at your service."

We nodded and Introduced ourselves. "Nice to meet you. "

"Would like to pour a drink?" Peter asked.

"Red wine, please."

"I supposed gentlemen, you're from England." He asked. Even though he has a French accent his English is understandable.

Thomas nodded, "we are. Two gentlemen gallivanting around Europe." He smirked at Peter.

Peter smiled.

"I heard that Himword is lacking a doctor to treat the patients." Thomas said.

Peter nodded sadly. "Yes, as soon as word got out that Germans would make their way to France through Belgium, our doctor, the only one in Himworde ran away."

Thomas nodded, "well, my friend who is sitting next to me would fill that position for you all."

I nodded. "Hmm. I will be glad."

Just then I saw the piano at the tavern. Peter polished the glass with a towel and asked. "I see you're interested in this piano."

I tried to smile. "I'd like to play. Can I come and play in the evenings?"

Peter was surprised but he smiled. "Why certainly. I have no objection. The piano is quite old, as it's lacking someone to play. I will be very glad to borrow this instrument to you doctor."

Thomas whispered to Peter, "trust me, he's very talented." I smirked.

"Well, is there anywhere we can stay?" I asked.

"Ask Madame Wauters. Her house is near to the church. She'll be glad to give you rooms."

We said goodbye to Peter and went to Madame Wauters.