10 𝘕𝘖 𝘔𝘖𝘙𝘌 𝘙𝘜𝘕𝘕𝘐𝘕𝘎

.  . • ☆ . ° .• °:. *₊ ° . ☆

conrads pov

i didnt even watch her run out the door. i really should've. i really really should've.

but instead, i just stared at cleveland.

"can someone tell me whats going on?" i said as calm as i could.

cleveland huffed, grabbing my arm and pushing me to the side of the venue, by a wall of sunflowers, "hey conrad," he huffed, and i immediately new he would just get into it. he was about to tell me everything, he was just mustering up the ability. cleveland was never one to bs me.

still i said, "whats going on?"

he looked my up and down, and i did the same back to him, raising my brows afterwards, "macee didnt tell you." he said it like he had just realized it. i lifted my eyebrows further.

"macee's mother is back. her real mother."

i tilted my head, even though technically i had already known this, i had found out a second ago. i was more shocked by the fact i hadnt known sooner.

"when did this happen?"

"two weeks ago. its why she came home earlier this week."

i felt numb. i think my face went pale, because clevelands head shook.

"why did you bring her here?" i asked before i could process my words, it was just what had come to mind.

"she has been staying with us, and this was a very last minute trip." he glared at me, but then sighed, deciding to give up on the matter, "can we just find my daughter, please."

"she probably went to the car," i sighed too, already seeing people leaving. i looked down at my watch, it was that time anyway, "ill go talk to her." i looked at him sternly, "with all due respect sir, im not sure it should be you."

he frowned, in the way an old man would, and nodded, "yeah, i deserve that."

i left him over there, giving the woman he was with a look as i briskly walked past her.

i shouldnt have let go of her hand. i shouldn't have snapped at her. i shouldnt have let her run.

i shouldve known.

"what just happened?" jere ran up to me, who had stayed away during the altercation. he kept up with my fast pace, and i spoke even quicker.

"i need to leave, macee's upset." i nodded toward him, "will you make sure everybody leaves and this place gets cleaned up?" he saluted, and i walked away.

as i turned the corner to go outside, so did belly, coming in from outside, and she bumped right into my chest.

"what are you doing?" i asked, probably too harshly.

"i saw what happened, i went after macee." my heart dropped.

"shes not out there?"

belly's eyes went blank.

"belly, can you help me-" jere came running over, then saw me, "whats going on?"

"macee's not outside." belly said slowly, cautiously.

jeremiah's face went slack, "what does this mean?"

i looked around quickly, not finding her.

"macee's missing."

.  . • ☆ . ° .• °:. *₊ ° . ☆

macee's pov

"macee! macee!" two vicious hands on my shoulders woke me up, and my eyes flew open, a gasp coming out of my mouth, "oh, thank God."

it was cam.

his curly brown hair stuck to his forehead with sweat, which was now in his palms as he sat next to me on the dock.

"where am i?" i said groggily, looking around, then remembering, "crap! what time is it?"

"1 am." he groaned, "we've been looking for you all night."

"cam!" a voice came from the beach, and we barely saw jer in the moonlight.

"i found her. she's over here." cameron waved high in the air, and jer rested his palms on his knees, breathing heavy.

"i'll call conrad."

ten minutes later, jeres jeep pulled up, and conrad was inside it.

cam had called him, telling him that i was found and was ok. and jere informed me on what had happened after i had left.

conrad jumped out of the car before it had even stopped.

"connie, im so sor-" i couldnt even get it out before he tackled me in a hug, and i was consumed by his body. i hugged him back, and again, i found the boy shaking in my arms.

his face hadnt shown tears, or any sort of panic. but he was definitely holding me tighter than he ever had before.

"im sorry." i shook my head, "i didnt have my phone. and at first i ran, but then i walked here, and i didnt know how to get back," i was talking a mile a minute, "and i accidently fell asleep and i just-" conrads lips interrupted mine, and i stopped talking. he just kissed me.

then he whispered, "just shut up. please."

i nodded, shutting my mouth. a few minutes passed, and our foreheads stayed connected.

"what the hell were you thinking?" he asked quietly at some point, and i felt like sobbing.

"im so sorry." was all i could say, "i didnt mean to run."

"i meant about not telling me." his eyes were open now, and they met with mine. they were serious, stern, but also gentle, the way his eyes were naturally, "about your mother."

i was at a loss for words.

"i-i just. i didnt know how." i combed my fingers through my hair, "i mean, in any given circumstance thats hard news to hear. but, you have been dealing with so much lately-" i shook my head, "i didnt want to worry you."

he just hugged me again, and i let a few tears escape onto his shirt.

"dont ever run away again." he spoke deeply, i could feel the grumble in his chest.

"hey, that goes both ways, bucko." i spat back.

i was surprised to feel his chest shaking in a laugh. mine did too, a little, and we just held each other.

"touche." he said, "no more running for either of us."

"or secrets." i looked at him sternly, and he held out his pinky.

"deal." we both said, giggling once more.

.  . • ☆ . ° .• °:. *₊ ° . ☆

"im sorry if i ruined the night." i muttered as conrad drove us back home, jeremiah was already passed out in the back, "i feel selfish."

"dont." conrad looked over at me, squeezing my thigh with his fingers, "it ended right after you left anyway. i was ready to go." he smiled, "and even though running around town looking for my missing girlfriend was not how i wanted to end the night," he laughed, and i only let myself smile a little, "it was a lot better than staying around for the pitiful conversations & goodbyes i was going to have with everyone once they left."

i nodded, playing with the hem of my dress. that made me feel a bit better.

"really, its ok," conrad said again, eyeing me, "im just glad youre ok." he leaned over during the red light and kissed my cheek. and i smiled.

"i guess we're even now."

he laughed at that, and so did i.