Chapter 2

*Dev*
I sat in my office, angry those Cup Brothers had escaped our grasp. It was a typical night for me at the casino. I sat in my usual spot alone when I noticed Mr. Dice come in looking around. He seemed enamored by everything around him. He smiled and waved to Mr.Wheezy who politely showed him around. King seemed to understand all the games and how to play them, which surprised me of all people. Mr.Dice was a kind man who was said to be an "angel from heaven itself".  Yet the man could spot some of the most complex cheats to spot in the room.  He'd quietly point them out to Wheezy and security took them out. Eventually, Mr.Dice left for the kitchen to cook up dessert for the night. Dinner was always difficult since well- we demons always prefer bitter things. Black licorice was a personal favorite of mine.  Wheezy eventually walked over to me. 

"Sir, Mr.Dice is in the back preparing dessert for the night." He spoke seeming to not care for the conversation but seeming aggravated.

"Wheezy, why are you upset with me?" I motioned for him to sit across from me and he did as I asked.

"Respectfully, Boss, I think it was wrong of you to even gamble with those kids. My personal biases get in the way of my judgment, but that is just my opinion, sir." Wheezy didn't break eye contact with me. I always appreciated Wheezy's honesty with me. I never was a demon for games or beating around the bush. Wheezy was straightforward and was never sorry for what he said.

"What do you think I should do?" I crossed my arms as I curiously watched Wheezy try to come up with an answer.

"Sir, King works long shifts at his cafe, to then make the trek from Isle 1 to 3 is . . . in my opinion a bit much. I'd at least offer a ride-" As we spoke I noticed King had tackled someone to the ground. Out of the person's sleeve came a couple of aces.

"I knew you were cheating from a mile away," King spoke confidentially. I waltzed over and got rid of the man.

"While I appreciate the help, how did you know he was cheating?" I shrugged. King nodded and smiled.

"When I was younger, to help my family I'd run tables for a bar late at night. I also scammed people out of their money, and there was always 1 rule." King flicked a card out of what seemed like thin air. "Never enter a game without an extra ace up your sleeve." He smiled and handed it to me. 

"Well, aren't you smart? For Inkwell's Darling Angel, you're one hell of a devil."  I looked down at him. King became a bit embarrassed about the whole thing.

"Well, I don't think 'angel' is the correct word exactly." His lavender freckles were joined by a dark purple shade on his face. "I just try to help people is all." He turned to head out to the kitchen.

"One moment." He turned back and shyly played with the hem of his gloves. "I'd like you out here every night spotting any cheaters in the area, instead of cooking. You have a talent. I'll pay you and even get a vehicle to pick you up." I looked to Wheezy. "Do you mind?"

Wheezy shook his head and seemed happy to help.

"Oh! Sir that is beyond kind, but I don't want to be a burden." I could tell behind the sweet and darling exterior, that there was a darkness to King that enjoyed the gamble. I leaned down a bit.

"Oh, darling, as if you are a burden. You've been nothing but a blessing to my business since you walked through that door. You are an angel." King's cheeks flushed red and he just nodded. 

"Then I'll stay out here and help out, sir." King couldn't meet my gaze. It was new to me to see people flustered and shy instead of intimidated by me. 

"Thank you. Mind if I call you King?" I smirked.

King's cheeks flushed, but he retaliated which surprised me. "Mind if I call you Lucifer?" He had a sly grin on his face as he spoke. I heard Wheezy choke on his drink behind me at King's question.

"As long as it is not in front of guests." I pat his shoulder and left the conversation. 

He was pure and sweet, but he craved to be a part of the world of gambling again. King's keen green eyes caught onto plenty of crooks and handled them with the ease of a manager which I didn't have. However, what caught my attention is when his eyes glowed and he'd make playing cards appear and pin guests to walls with them if they tried to escape or attack him. He handled himself with poise and grace... like an Angel.

I hadn't found myself this enamored with someone in ages, but he was something else. King's elegance and sweet smile carried darling energy with him. He could be a daydream, but I knew he could easily turn into anyone's worst nightmare. He oddly never took a drink, and his eyes never left the tables. His eyes darted quickly around the room as he analyzed and worked. I could tell he was struggling since mortals can only see so much, but he sure as hell saved me some money.

By the end of the night, King looked exhausted, too tired to walk home. "Well, goodnight Lucifer." He stepped outside and nearly collapsed so I caught him. 

"Woah Woah Woah, King. You need rest." I helped him steady himself.

"What? But the boys, the babysitter will leave soon!" King was anxious from worry so I kneeled a bit to his level.

"I sent Wheezy to your place ages ago, just relax ok?" King blinked as I spoke quietly to him. He leaned into my arms a bit. He fell asleep rather quickly. What an angel.

(Edited in Grammarly - 7/22/2022)