Chapter Six: Not The Camera

Jonathan had his own car, making it convenient for us to get around

     Jonathan had his own car, making it convenient for us to get around. After breakfast, we hit the road, and he proved to be a steady driver, not rushing things. The passenger window was rolled down, allowing the fresh air to hit my face, and my hair danced in the wind. Despite the strangeness of being back in Hawkins, the open road and the wind felt rejuvenating. For a girl who was once locked up, monitored, and disciplined for not always obeying her father's commands, this freedom was a welcome change. I pushed those haunting thoughts aside; now wasn't the time to dwell on them. My focus was on helping Joyce find her son, a task that would help me escape the clutches of my painful past.

"You okay?" Jonathan's voice interrupted my thoughts, pulling me back to the present. I turned my head to the right, catching him briefly staring at me before his gaze returned to the road.

"How's life in high school?" I asked, realizing the question might have been a bit odd. Jonathan looked puzzled, prompting me to clarify, "I mean, I know what it's like, but what is it like here, in Hawkins?"

"Oh," he responded, his head fully turning back to face the road. "It's alright. I mean, I get called a freak, a loner, and all that." Though he didn't meet my eyes, his emotions were palpable. He seemed bothered by the lack of friends, yet his strength was evident.

"Before my predicament, high school for me was a wonder. All the different people mingling, creating fond memories. Sure, the bullies threw names at me, but I brushed them off," I began to share my own high school experience. "For a long time, I was the 'new freaky girl' who came out of nowhere." My life post-escape from the lab was far from perfect, but it resembled the normal childhood I had dreamt of. "We all have experiences we want to forget. Deep down, they make us stronger," I concluded, revealing a wisdom beyond my years, shaped by the challenging experiences I've endured. One's past is a defining force, sometimes not always in a positive way.

Jonathan stayed quiet, acknowledging the truth in my words. His eyes briefly met mine, and I offered a smile, though his focus soon returned to the road.

......................

The remainder of the journey was spent in silence, our words seemingly locked away. Upon reaching the school, Jonathan suggested I wait in the car while he attended to his photography duties. However, I've never been one to follow instructions diligently. Liberating myself from the old, dusty grey Chevy, I strolled around the parking lot, relishing the freedom to stretch my legs. The school day soon concluded, and students spilled out of the main doors, dispersing in various directions. Jonathan took longer than expected, prompting me to embark on a quest to find him.

Wandering through the school halls, I searched for any sign of him without success. Eventually deciding to call it quits, I headed back to the car to patiently wait. To my surprise, I spotted him walking through the hall, a bag slung over his shoulder.

"Jonathan!" I called out, and he turned, spotting me approaching. "I know, I should have stayed in the car," I admitted, sensing his unspoken thoughts. A chuckle escaped me. "Did you finish the pictures?" I inquired as we walked out of the school.