Chapter Twenty-Seven × Seasoned and Stuffed

शुरू से प्रारंभ करें:

"Yes. And after four month of ignoring us, we want to know more about the girl you ditched us for." His dad adds, joking but also not. I didn't think much about what it was like for his parents to have their own son living in the city, leave. But I also don't know what went on behind closed doors when his mom's indiscretion got found out about.

I mean, they're both here. Sitting beside each other and wearing their wedding rings. There's no awkward tension between the two of them - at least, it seems. They've already surpassed my own parents marriage which resulted in the culmination of my dad trying to contact me every few months and my mom living on social housing.

"This roast is really good, babe." Link says, rather loudly as he sticks a forkful into his mouth. He gives his parents and Erik a look, as if asking everyone to not do this in front of the kids. Well half of them - because the other half of the kids are getting tucked into bed by their travel nanny as we speak. 

Yes. Because having a travel nanny is apparently a thing. 

"Thanks. Yeah, I used this new marinade recipe I found online." She says proudly, excited that her works creation has been approved by her husband. Nothing against Cassidy, but the life she lives is very far from what I want; and I really hope Erik and his family don't expect that from me.

I won't be making school lunches and staying home with the kids, walking around barefoot until the next time my husband can knock me up. I want a family, but I also want to have a career and life of my own. I want to be able to enjoy the occasional Starbucks once in a while, without having to strap my kids into a double stroller that doesn't fit in most doorways.

I don't want the purpose of my life to begin and end around my womb.

And Erik knows that. He knows that I don't want to be a stay-at-home mom. But if I've learnt anything in life, it's that what your family thinks, influences your decisions. Those fuckers can get in your ear worse than fans during a basketball shoot-out. 

"So, Rosie." Link begins, after a few minutes of silent intense eye contact exchanges and me, wishing I would start choking on a dinner roll. "Erik tells me you work for the rink. How're you liking it, so far?" He asks, briefly making eye contact with me before I look away. I think I've reached a record total of five second where I can actually manage to maintain eye contact with Erik's family. That's a World Record. Someone call the Records Team.

"Yeah." I nod, awkwardly fiddling with my napkin as I glance down at the table. "I like it. It's good." I work for free; my time spilt between freezing to death and being treated like the offices pass-around bitch (aka an admin assistant). "It's great." That's it, Rosie. Use your full vocabulary. No, use all the synonyms that you know. Then proceed to die from embarrassment. 

He nods, giving me a polite smile before taking a sip of his wine. His smile says "that's nice" but his actions say "well, I tried, there's no hope for this one". I wonder if Erik told him that I'm awkward as fuck, or if he decided that would be my Christmas present to his family. One lanky, bad-postured, socially-awkward girl. Happy Holidays!

"Yeah, she's an intern in marketing." Erik adds, excitedly telling his family about me like I'm anything but slightly above average. "And she's graduating this year from Portland University." He looks over at me, smiling from ear to ear like I'm a chocolate chip cookie. 

"Oh, that's nice." His mom says, the same way a parent would when their kid brings home another fingerpainted portrait that resembles a rock. "Is something wrong with the food?" She asks, making my face turn the darkest shade of red. I look down at my plate which is barely touched; whilst everyone else is nearing the end of their meal.

"Oh, no. Are you Jewish?" Cassidy asks, sounding genuinely upset that she could possibly not know about a religion I don't belong to. "Erik, why didn't you say anything. I'll get you something else, Rosie." She's already standing up and walking towards my side of the table. 

Kill me. Do it now.

"She's not allergic." Erik tells Cassidy before swatting her away from me. "She's just nervous because you guys are hounding her with questions." He tells them, moving his arm from the back of my chair to my lap. Well, not in that way. He just takes my hand and holds it, underneath the dinner table. 

His leg is already resting against mine; but somehow, the physical contact is nice. And even though I'm sure his family means well, it means a lot that he's jumping to my defense like that. It's weird not being the only one looking out for myself; that's how it's always been. Me against the world.

"Oh, sorry Rosie." Except in this case, I really wish they had a dog I could've fed my dinner to. "We didn't mean to overwhelm you." His mom apologizes, giving me a sympathetic smile. Maybe she is more fairy godmother and less Cruella Deville. "We just wanna get to know you. You know, you're the first girl Erik's ever brought home."

"Mom. Noah's being a jerk." Erik's niece calls from the other table, where Cassidy's been spending her time whenever she's not trying to cram food down her throat. I don't think I've seen her stop moving since I got here.

"Guys." She immediately gets up, Link not even looking over to see what's going on. "Sorry, I'll be back." She apologies before making a beeline for the kids table.

I have to be honest, I don't remember the name of his niece. Because Link and Cassidy have like five kids that they briefly introduced me to. But whoever she is, thank you. I needed something to distract everyone from looking at my dinner plate and wondering what's wrong with me? Am I stuck-up and not willing to try something that's not in my taste? Am I an anorexic model that's having to starve herself to stay within a weight guideline?

Or am I:

C) None of the above

Thin Ice (Power Play Series Book #2)जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें