Chapter 1

Two Months Earlier

I took a step out of my carriage and smiled. The weather was cold and windy- typical for January, yet the merchants along the street still bustled along barely noticing the chill. I pulled the collar of my jacket up to my cheekbones and shivered, surveying the building that I would soon call my home. It was a tall, weathered apartment building that was guarded by a low iron fence. The windows were dirty looking and the shutters were cracked, but my heart still warmed itself with the prospect of starting a new life in this old building. I turned to the coachman and helped him lift my bags off of the roof of the carriage. He was a scrawny old man who had kept to himself throughout the entire journey from New Forest.

"Will that be all sir?" He asked me, shuffling on his feet. I nodded and reached for my wallet to pay for the ride. As I handed him his fare, I caught him surveying my new building with a raised eyebrow. I cleared my throat and he smiled at me. "Good day then, sir." he said, tipping his hat. I watched him climb back up on his carriage and click his tongue against his teeth. With that, his carriage jerked forward and he disappeared in the crowd of buggies.

I hoisted my bags under both of my arms and shuffled up the steps of my new building. Leaning one bag against the door frame, I knocked on the withered blue door. I picked up my bag again and heard a shuffling from inside. The door creaked open and a small face peered out at me. I smiled at the child and began to say hello, when a woman called from inside.

"Andy! Get away from the door, you'll catch a cold!" The little boy disappeared, slamming the door on my face. I looked around for a moment, wondering what to do, when the door was quickly opened again. This time, a large woman with messy brown hair piled high in a bun opened the door. She had a red pudgy face with a wart beside her nose, and she looked at me curiously. The little boy who answered the door hid behind her dress, along with two other small children. "Oh, you must be Mister Collinwood. I'm Nancy, and you already met Andrew. Come in, come in!" She beckoned. I carried my bags inside and she closed the door behind me. One of the children shoved a finger up his nose.

There was a large parlor that had a small stone fireplace on the far side of the room. The furniture was outdated, and the whole room smelt of old tea. Nancy pointed a finger toward a wooden staircase and shook a child off of her skirt.

"Your room is up there, third door down." She said. She reached into the pocket of her apron and produced a small copper key. "We serve breakfast every morning at 8am, but you will have to supply your other meals yourself."

I smiled at her and took the key from her hand. "Thank you very much." I said. I turned to head up the staircase, and noticed that she was following me. I inwardly sighed. She wants to talk.

"So what do you do?" She asked as I carried my bags up the stairs. The walls were covered by framed watercolor paintings of the coast.

"I'm a musician," I said, "I mean, I'm a composer. Well, i'm trying to be." I said stuttering. Damn, if I was going to start a new life here, I needed to get my career straight. Nancy rolled her eyes at me.

"Ah, another artist of sorts." She muttered. "Well, just don't play any instruments after dark." She said unenthusiastically. "Here we are."

We arrived at the third door from the staircase, and i excitedly shoved my key into the keyhold and gave it a twist. When I heard a click, I pushed open the door, my heart rising in my chest. As soon as I saw the room, however, I felt my heart drop like a piece of coal.

It was a tiny square room with bleak grey walls. A small window on the opposite wall had lacey curtains on it, and a springy looking mattress was crammed up against the wall and the window. The bed took up most of the room, but a small dresser took up the rest. It thankfully had a small wash basin on top of it, and a greasy looking mirror above it. I stepped inside of my new room and set my bags at the foot of my bed.

"I thought that the article said-" I paused. Spacious living quarters fit for a prince, I thought to myself. I shook it from my mind. "Nevermind. It will do." I said, forcing a smile. She turned to leave the room, when something suddenly crossed my mind.

"Oh, I will be requiring a writing desk!" I said hastily. She turned to me, surprised. "Of course I will supply it myself, but do you think that there will be room for it in here?" She looked around the room and then locked eyes with me, chewing on her bottom lip. She shrugged. I looked around the room as well and spotted a small area beside the dressor that just might be enough room for a small desk.

"This spot will be perfect." I said. She smiled politely and then excused herself from my room. Alone at last, I sat upon my matress and lightly bounced a few times. I wondered who had rented this room before me- if he had been a musician like myself. If he had ever brought a woman back here. I smiled to myself, imagining the look of horror on a lady's face when she saw this cramped room.

I tried to look out the window beside my bed, but it was so dirty that I couldn't even see out of it. Tucking my hand in my sleeve, I whiped some of the window clean and looked down at the crowded streets below me. Merchants lines the sides of the road, barking out their products. If it werent for the chill outside, I would have loved to crack the window open to smell the fresh bread rolls below.

Suddenly feeling exhaused, I leaned back on the springy mattress. I looked up at the cieling and saw some cobwebs in the corner of the room. Those would have to be taken care of. Plus I had to get some music ready for my meeting with Mr. Pickering tomorrow. Plus I had to unpack. And maybe find some food..

But for the moment I was so tired from the journey. I closed my eyes and told myself it would only be for a moment. I was still completely dressed, and still had my shoes on my feet, but that was allright because I would only rest for a moment. Just a moment...

When I opened my eyes again the birds were singing and the sun was rising in the east. "Damn it." I muttered.