0. sunshine

.・。.・゜✭・✈︎・✫・゜・。.

prologuesunshine🌞

prologue
sunshine
🌞

.・。.・゜✭・✈︎・✫・゜・。.

' i've been runnin' through this strange life
chasin' all them green lights
throwin' up the shade for a little bit of sunshine
hit me with them good vibes
pictures on my phone like
everything is so fine
little bit of sunshine. '

SUNSHINE
- one republic

.・。.・゜✭・✈︎・✫・゜・。.

miramar, ca

i smile at the many selfies and photographers as the most recent top gun trophy winner, grabbing my closest friends together for a group photo. i look to the left of the camera and a grin brightens up my face. "dad!"

i run past the photographer and throw myself into his arms, smiling as he kisses my forehead. "hey, sunny. congratulations! i'm so proud of you," he beams down at me. "i brought you some flowers."

i pull out of the hug and see he's wearing his old white uniform from his graduation - i can't help but smile even wider. i feel pats on my back and shoulders, followed by 'congratulations' from my fellow graduates.

my father flew in 86' with renowned naval aviators pete mitchell, "maverick," tom kazansky, "iceman," and nick bradshaw, "goose." i wasn't close to being born yet when they all were in top gun, but i sure as hell wish i was.

my father retired after my mom passed, wanting to be with me through recovering her death. i decided after her passing to throw myself into the navy, a dream my father and i had shared since i was a little girl.

winning the top gun trophy was just an addition to the many awards i've received, being top of my class all through my many years of service.

"sunny," vice admiral cyclone announces, snapping me out of my thoughts. "sunshine," he nods to my father. "this is for you, i hope you're okay about going one more round."

he hands me a letter and then walks away, leaving me and my father to furrow our eyebrows before bursting into laughter. i decide the letter could wait and place it inside my pocket.

i circle the graduates, noticing the lack of letters being handed out. i assume it's got something to do with the trophy, maybe a medal? no, it was light. pin?

i finally decide that it was time to leave after saying my goodbyes to my fellow graduates and saluting my many admirals and captains.

i drive home, my matte black bmw blending in with the falling sun as i park outside our large house on the hill at the end of the cul-de-sac.

i hang my keys next to the front door and sit on the island where my dad waits patiently as i open the letter. i unfold the tri-fold and begin to read the message.

.・。.・゜✭・✈︎・✫・゜・。.

on march 3rd, 1969, the united states navy
established an elite school for the top one percent of it's pilots.

its purpose was to teach the lost art of aerial combat and to ensure that the handful of men and women who graduated were the best fighter pilots in the world. they succeeded.

today, the navy calls it fighter weapons school.

the flyers call it:

TOP GUN.

SKYLAR 'SUNNY' MOORE, you have been assembled for a mission amongst the most elite top gun graduates. mandatory meeting, 10:00 am 5/27/22.
we anticipate your arrival on the tarmac.

.・。.・゜✭・✈︎・✫・゜・。.

"i just graduated, and they've already recalled me back to top gun. it's for a mission, it's mandatory," i say to him. "at least now, i can spend more time with you before i get moved around."

he smiles, pulling me into a side hug, "i have a good feeling about this, sunny. i think it'll be good for you, and the hard deck'll be full with aviators tomorrow flying in. i need to pay penny a visit, anyway."

"i've missed her," i say to myself.

"oh, and someone's in town," he says, his eyes filled with excitement.

"oh, really? who?"

"it's a secret," he shrugs sarcastically. "maybe you'll find out tomorrow, i don't know."

i smile, "goodnight, dad," i kiss him on the cheek before making my way upstairs.

"hey, can i be your wingman?"

i chuckle at his question, "goodnight, dad."

.・。.・゜✭・✈︎・✫・゜・。.