TO BE WORTHY

originally published july 13, 2022

request: 🥃 Hey 👋🏼! For your sleepover, how about "I'll be damned if anyone makes you feel like you aren't worthy of being loved." for Steven and his librarian? Please and thank you!!! - blackwidownat2814

pairing: steven grant x fem!librarian!reader

word count: 514

warnings?: light angst, reader feeling insecure, fluff, implied smut, pet name (love), not proofread

Steven loved spending time with you. He loved it. If he was able to quit his job and spent every moment he had with you, he would. He absolutely adored you. And it was even more perfect because Jake and Marc also liked you. Not in the same way as he loved you—they saw you as a friend, someone they could trust to never hurt Steven. It was like they had easily accepted you into the family, often inquiring about you, good-naturedly teasing Steven when he would get ready to go on a date with you. God, he loved spending time with you. You made him feel more loved than any other person in the whole world.

Which was why it made his chest ache, when you told him that you felt like you didn't deserve his love.

"You're just so sweet to me," you said, head resting on his chest as the two of you snuggled on the couch. "Sometimes, I feel like you're too good for me. Like, I don't know, that I don't deserve your love. That would be better off with someone who was better than me—"

Steven pulled away. You sat up, your pretty eyes full of sadness as you peered up at him. He reached out, cupping your face in his hands, holding you in place as he said, "Love, don't say things like that. Please. I can't stand it. I don't want anyone else. You...You're the most wonderful woman I've ever met. I've never met anyone who's understood me like you have—barring Jake and Marc, of course. You make me happier than I've ever been." He leaned in, his forehead resting against yours. "I don't know what's happened in your life to make you feel like this, but I'll be damned if anyone makes you feel like you aren't worthy of being loved."

"Steven—" you whispered, your voice cracking. "—you're too good for me."

"No such thing," he said. He nudged his nose against yours, his lips ghosting over yours. "You're my love. You're all I want. There is no better than you."

"You mean that? You...you won't realize, like, ten years down the line that you messed up by choosing me?"

"Ten years down the line, all I'll be thinking about is how lucky I am to have you, to love you, to accept your love."

You pressed your lips to him, kissing him desperately, as if you were scared that he would disappear right out from under you. Your fingers gripped at his curls, pulling down closer to you as you leaned back on the couch, pulling him on top of you. One of your hands slipped under his shirt, feeling his abdomen, tracing the ridges of muscles, squeezing at the soft flesh. Steven gasped into your mouth, realizing the path you were heading down.

"Are you sure?" he mumbled against your lips.

"I've never been more sure of anything," you said. "Love me, love me, please, with everything you have."

And he did. Over, and over, and over again.