13- Booze and Talk

—a time skip to that night, brought to you by BPS Kids—

I was wearing a half brown, half black shirt and a pair of basketball shorts as I tried to figure out what kind of pants I wanted to wear tonight.

Laid out in front of me was a pair of cargo shorts and bell bottom jeans. On one hand it was hot outside and shorts would be perfect for the weather, on the other hand that would be showing a lot of skin. I've been here for three days now, and I don't think I've seen anyone with bare legs. Sure, I could be the first. Become a trendsetter. A path blazer. But then again, it could be insensitive. I'm in their town, I should try to blend in. Right?
Was this the right time to showcase my individuality or...not?

I sigh and grab the jeans, putting them on before I change my mind again. It felt like the right thing to do.

After changing out of the shorts and into the jeans I tuck my shirt in halfway. I put my hair up/down in a way I thought looked good and glanced at the mirror. I had to say, I looked cute. (But that was to be expected.)

I grabbed my camera, putting it on around my neck, and my backpack as per usual.

Then I was off.

The walk was alright, although it was hot. I could feel the inside of my thighs chafing when I got to the casita. I think that's what Luisa and Mirabel called it. Him? Her? Did the living house even have a gender?
I shake that thought out of my head as I walk up the small hill the house was on.
Although I was starting to wonder if I'd gotten the occasion wrong.

There were so many people also walking toward the same house. In fact, soon I was sure that all those people were going into the house.

I thought I was invited to a dinner. Had I heard wrong?

As I got closer, Alma came out of the front door and waited with a smile until I got to her.

"Am I in the wrong place?", I ask half jokingly.

She gives me a brief hug and chuckles as she pulls back. "Not at all. It wouldn't be your party without you there."

"Sorry? My party? I thought this was just supposed to be dinner."

She chuckles again and leads me into the house. "Dinner will be served too, we won't let you starve."

This was my party alright. Else there was another new y/n in town, cause the banner near the stairs read "Welcome to the Encanto Y/N!"

Looking around, it looked like the party had already started, though it didn't look like it'd peaked yet.
There was music blasting from somewhere in the house but it could be heard from outside, people were talking over each other, there was dancing, and what looked like alcohol.

Seemed like a pretty decent party.

"So, do you like it?", Mirabel asks as she bounced over to us, smiling as usual.

"Do I like it? Do I LiKe it?? Mirabel, I love it! It's the sweetest thing anyone's done for me! Thank you!", I exclaim excitedly, turning to give Alma a hug. She hesitates, but returns it. Mirabel, though, hugs right back when I give her one.

After that Alma says goodbye and leaves to attend to something and me and Mirabel are left to decide what to do.

"What do you want to do first? Should I introduce you to people or do you want to dance or-"

"Ahhh, wellll I saw some booze when I came in. What say we get this party started with some drinks?", I ask her with a light laugh.

"I'm fifteen."

"..Right... Forget the 'we' then. I'm still gonna find a drink, though."

She rolls her eyes and walks toward another room, "I'll show you where they are then."

"Attagirl!" I ruffle her hair and walk beside her toward the kitchen, where to my delight, there was a table full of booze bottles.

There seemed to be a lot of options and I didn't recognize any of the bottles or names.

"You recommend anything?", I ask absentmindedly, picking up a green bottle to look at it.

"Again. Fifteen.", Mirabel responds.

I put the green one down and pick up a long blue bottle and pop the cap off, smelling the contents. Whatever it was, it was strong.
Just how I like my liquor.

Mirabel hands me a cup and I pour enough to taste. It tasted pretty good. It wasn't the best thing ever and I refused to believe it was the best thing at that table, but Mirabel seemed pretty eager to get going. Personally, I didn't mind spending the evening liquor tasting. But I'd have to do that on my own time.

I pour some more of the same drink and Mirabel drags me out the kitchen and to where people were festering.

She introduces me to a few villagers and they tell me about life in the Encanto, while Mirabel is dragged away to play with some little kids.
That girl really needed to spend more time with kids her own age.

As the conversation turns to something I can't follow, I decided to leave the little group. They didn't seem to mind.

I was setting off to find Luisa, but I got roped into another conversation with another villager who wanted to know why I wore pants instead of a skirt or a blouse.
I tried to answer him nicely, I really did, but when the subject hadn't changed after five whole minutes, my voice was starting to lace itself with sarcasm.

Seeing as he didn't seem to be getting bored of the topic, I was the one who had to excuse myself. There was only so far a drink could carry me into a conversation.

Speaking of drinks, I'd run out.

As the night went on, I'd talked to a lot of people, ate my fill, danced with strangers, and made more trips to the kitchen for a refill than I did to the bathroom all week.

And I still hadn't seen Luisa. You'd think a girl as tall as her would stick out in a room.

Eventually I found my way to a couch in a quiet hallway, and that's where I plopped myself down for a break. The music was starting to be too loud and the crowds were starting to be too crowded. My social battery was dying out quickly. Now I realize, the problem with having a party thrown for me, is that I can't leave early.

I lean my head back and let out a quiet groan. A nap sounded like heaven right now.

I might've been dozing off a little when I felt the couch dip beside me. Out of sheer politeness, I open my eyes and pick my head up to greet the person sitting next to me.

"Tired?" Dolores asked before I could say anything.

"Not at all." I smile at her and bring my cup up to my mouth to wake myself up.

"I think that's enough. I can hear your kidneys crying for help." Dolores takes the cup from my hand and sets it down on the ground.

"Sure you can. I haven't even drunk a lot."

She made a "hmph" sort of noise in response. I laid my head back again and half sighed-half groaned.

"I thought you had crazy good hearing. Isn't this whole party a little loud for you?", I ask, genuinely curious.

"A bit.. but, I'm used to it."

"Can't you turn it off at times like these?"

"No. It's not selective."

There was a hint of sadness in her voice, and that piqued my interest.

"Do you wish it was?"

"Of course I do. It's not nice being able to hear everything all the time."

"I guess. But, does that mean you know everything about everyone then?"

"Unfortunately. It's not as much of a good thing as you'd think it is. I don't want to know what Senora Garcia is going to wear to surprise her husband tonight.", she admitted with a gagging noise.

I couldn't help but giggle as I relaxed further into the couch.