1 - Hide and Seek

Past - 9 years ago

Past - 9 years ago

I hold on tight to my dress as I run and run to hide.

He won't find me here, I think as I snuggle myself between the bushes.

I can hear his soft voice calling my name, telling me I can't hide forever.

It's starting to get dark out there, it's scary.

"Boo!" someone screams in my ear making me jump.

I hold my hands close to my heart, my breathing quickening and my eyes getting glossy.

"I- I'm sorry I didn't mean to scare you, are you okay?" He asks me, placing his hand gently on my face and wiping my tears.

"Yeah, i'm fine" I manage to say between pants as I bring my arms up and hug him.

He looks taken aback but quickly wraps his tiny hands around me.

"You found me." I whisper, giggling.

"Always, princess." He always calls me that since I love pink and always wear pink dresses.

I didn't realize we were still hugging until he moves back and looks at the grass.

"You should go back home it's late." He says, fidgeting with his sleeve.

"Okay, walk with me?" I ask him, smiling.

"Of course." And just like that we stand up and head to my home.

----

"Meet me tomorrow at the same time? I have a surprise for you" He asks me, stopping in front of the gate of my house.

"I love surprises! What is it? Tell me, tell me please" I whine, interlocking my hands together while jumping excitedly.

He starts laughing, telling me I should wait for tomorrow.

We say goodbye and when I see he's already far away, I enter the house.

"Louisa?" I hear my mother's voice calling for me.

"Momma!" I say running up to her and hugging her legs.

"Where were you? Again with that stupid boy?" I furrow my eyebrows, he's not stupid.

"This is the last time you'll ever see that boy again do you hear me?" Her words make my heart skip a beat.

She can't do that.

"You can't do that, he's my friend-"

"Nonsense, my precious daughter won't be frequenting a boy coming from the dirt and a poor family. Now go to your room" She says angrily, pointing her finger to the stairs.

I rush upstairs towards my room, locking the door behind me and crying in my pillow.

Why is she like that? Why can't I ever be happy?

He had a surprise for me.

But I won't be able to see him.

I hate my life.

I hate everything.