iii. | holly, jolly

Start from the beginning

        "Do you ever stop swearing?" he asked, leaning his head against the lockers, admiring her side profile. She furrowed her eyebrows, her lips quirking upwards.

        "Sorry?" she chuckled questioningly.

        "I don't think I've had one conversation with you where you haven't cursed," he smiled timidly, lifting his head slightly. Cassie cocked her head to the side, now looking at him directly. She took off her sunglasses slowly, hanging them on the collar of her shirt.

        "You got a problem with that?" she asked teasingly, making Jonathan shake his head.

        "No," he replied quickly, an almost smug smile on his face. "No, I just don't think I've ever heard a girl swear so much." Cassie shrugged.

        "You probably haven't. There's a reason they call me Hawkins High School's resident bitch. And it's why a lot of mothers don't like me in this town." Jonathan chuckled, and the two started to walk to their classes.

        "So, everyone here is a bitch?" he asked as they walked.

        "Well, not everyone," she chuckled. "I mean, you aren't. And neither is Barbra Holland. You know her?" Jonathan nodded slowly. "But I'm pretty sure everyone else is a bitch. Or a fucker. Including myself." The two stopped in front of Cassie's English class. "I'll see you later, okay?"

        "See ya, Cass," he waved, walking off.

        Taking her seat, Cassie was surprised that Barbra wasn't already there. Nancy sat in the seat over, fidgeting with her hands.

        "Wheeler," called Cassie, getting no response. "Hey, Wheeler!" Nancy looked over at her, a glare on her face.

        "What?" scowled Nancy.

        "Where's Barb?" asked Cassie, motioning to the empty seat between them. Nancy shrugged.

        "I'm not sure. I'm trying to figure that out myself," said Nancy softly, concerned. 

        "Have you tried ringing home?" asked Cassie. Nancy shook her head.

        "I thought she'd be here," answered Nancy. Cassie let out a breath, her mouth making an 'o' shape.

        "Guess you'll have to ring her after school." Nancy nodded at the statement, turning her attention to the teacher that walked in. 

        At lunch, Jonathan had told Cassie that he was going to the darkroom to develop some photos, which left Cassie at the end of her lunch table alone. Throughout eating, all she could feel was Nancy Wheeler's eyes staring at her. Finally, after 10 minutes of staring, the Wheeler girl sat down across from Cassie.

        "Hello to you-"

        "I don't have any change," burst Nancy. Cassie furrowed her eyebrows.

        "What?"

        "I don't have any spare change to make the phone call," explained Nancy. 

        "So, what, you've come to ask me for some?" Nancy stayed silent. Cassie rolled her eyes. "Jesus, Wheeler, you could've just asked. I'll see what I've got."

        Cassie dug into her pockets, sighing as she put her lighter and cigarettes on the table. Nancy gasped.

        "You smoke?" she whispered, her face much too close for Cassie's liking.

        "Yeah," she responded, leaning backwards. "You want one? You can have one if you want, just don't give it to your boyfriend Harrington over there."