chapter twenty-six.

Start from the beginning

The male wouldn't let Meredith sulk at home with her sister when she had a very important career on the line. "No. Jamie wouldn't want you to do that. I'll stay."

"You can't. You have to check in on Burke, remember?"

Derek thought for a moment before asking, "Can Harper come over?"

៚ ......... ˁᱸᲲᱸˀ ............ ༄

"How's Burke doing?" Izzie asked Cristina as they were walking through the halls for morning rounds.

Alex shook his head in disbelief when the female didn't answer. "She doesn't know. He just had surgery yesterday and you don't know how he's doing?"

"They're not speaking," Meredith replied shortly.

"I thought they made up?" Joey questioned.

"They did, sort of. But she's still not speaking to him." The youngest Grey sister elaborated.

"He's not speaking to me," Cristina corrected her friend, a sharp edge to her voice.

Izzie cleared her throat. "Okay."

"Where is Jamie Grey?" Bailey stopped in her tracks as she approached the group. "Why the hell are Stacey and Evans with me? Where is Jamie Grey?" She repeated when no one answered her.

George, Meredith and Izzie gave looks to one another uncomfortably but didn't dare to say anything. Mila just shrugged. "We don't know, Dr. Bailey. I couldn't find Dr. Grey's this morning. We figured she'd be with you."

Bailey looked at Little Grey, O'Malley and Stevens who still avoided eye contact. "You three know something. Spill."

"Us?" The male asked. "We just live with her, nothing else."

"Exactly," Izzie agreed quickly. A little too quickly.

But the resident didn't look convinced. "I forgot how bad interns lie. You two, as soon as we are done with rounds, you are telling me exactly where she is or no surgery for a month." She threatened before looking at Meredith. "You too, Grey. Oh, you definitely know something."

៚ ......... ˁᱸᲲᱸˀ ............ ༄

Kathryn showed up as quickly as possible after hearing the news. Derek nor Meredith wanted to go to work but they knew they had to, for a short amount of time at least before going back to Jamie.

Kathryn now laid in Jamie's bed, observing her friend carefully as she still slept. Something deep down wasn't right; you could tell just looking at her. The way her face was paler, cheeks were slightly caved in, and she had huge bags under her eyes.If Jamie herself wouldn't admit anything, her facial expressions gave it away.

Suddenly the girl stirred in her sleep and her face twisted. Then Jamie's breathing got heavier, and her head started moving almost as if she were scared.

"Jamie," Kathryn tried to wake her up. She then felt for a pulse and the girl's heart was practically racing. "Jamie." She tried once more

The sleeping girl's legs started to move slightly, as if she were trying to escape something. Incoherent words then started flowing from the girl's mouth. She was scared.

"Jamie." Kathryn tried a little harder. "Jamie!"

The sleeping girl sat up with a gasp, her eyes finally opening and tears falling from them. She pushed herself away from her friend, scared, confused and slightly disoriented. Her breathing was rigid, and tears continued to cloud her vision. Her hand clung to her chest as she felt as if it were going to beat out of her chest in any minute.