Chapter 8: The Final Straw

Start from the beginning

Any minute now, whatever had gripped her mind and senses would wear off and she would be back in front of Eddie, ready to get to the bottom of this. "Are you afraid? Afraid I know your little secret?" she cried.

"Come now Chrissy," said that voice. The voice that always plagued these episodes. "Don't act rashly."

"Why don't you come out and talk to me Eddie?" she sang, hands on hips. He seemed to listen, and she felt something tilt her head back ever so slightly. Chrissy refused to look at it; she wanted to prove to Eddie that he hadn't won. 

She felt a sharp burst of pain in her joints, but it wasn't real. Eddie couldn't harm her in broad daylight. "What are you doing?"

"I'm going to kill you Chrissy."

"Bullshit, you would never dare Eddie. You haven't got it in you."

"Stupid girl," the voice rasped. "Your mother has always been right about you."

"How do you know my mother?" she snapped.

"I know everyone, Chrissy Cunningham. Every little thing about every little human. I know about your mother and that she tells you you're the reason your father left. I know about your cat that died when you were ten, breaking your little heart. I've seen you write about your friends in that red diary you keep in your sock drawer." The voice took a shallow breath in. "I know everything Chrissy."

She was too stunned for a second to untangle her thoughts. There was no way Eddie could know that. No one knew she had once had a cat, or what her mother told her. Even if he had been outside her house each night he wouldn't have been able to find out. Again she started to doubt herself, but Chrissy tried to squash it.

"You only know that because you're a figment of my mind. I've obviously been drugged." She still hadn't turned around, refusing to lose this game. The voice only laughed, loud against the oddly silent depth around them. 

"But can your mind hurt you like this?" it asked, and she felt something grasp her neck. Her head lolled back and she gasped, eyes wide. 

"Stop it Eddie," she hissed, trying to squirm out of his grasp.

"Eddie Munson isn't responsible."

"Of course you would say that," she said, but her doubt was beginning to get the better of her. An ache grew in her skin that seemed to exceed human ability. It was as if her skin was burning from the inside out.

"If you're not Eddie, then where is he?" she forced out, and a shout began to pierce the surroundings. It was almost a hum at first, then words began to infiltrate the peace.

"Chrissy? Chrissy! Can you hear me?" It sounded so distant and otherworldly, as though she had entered another dimension of sorts.

Chrissy's body grew cold and her eyes felt glazed. That was Eddie shouting, and this wasn't his doing. His cries became fainter and she scrambled towards the sound.

"Let me go!" she said as the grip around her neck grew tighter. 

"Oh Chrissy, it's your time now. I've played with you enough." She flailed about, sore arms hitting wherever she could. Her throat felt constricted and there was little air left in her lungs.

"Come on Chrissy!" A vague murmur slipped through the air and she felt the thing behind her tense, growing in stature. But that was all it took. She brought her hands down heavily onto where she presumed its head was and felt its clutch loosen. Then Chrissy slipped down, looking around as the sky seemed to glitch. It was like she was in some deep mind palace of whatever was controlling her. 

So she ran without looking back. 

Chrissy ran until the air around her was clear and her feet felt solid on the ground, before she heard a voice surround her.

"Cunningham?" Her eyes opened and she was no longer running. A hand was tugging her arm and she fell towards it, dropping to her knees.

"Woah," the boy exclaimed, grabbing her before her head hit the ground. "You're not going to hit me again are you?" he asked, laughing weakly, but Chrissy could not open her mouth. Her limbs felt like they might be tied on with string, and her brain was entirely scrambled.

Eddie Munson lay the girls head down onto the ground, careful to keep his rings from scratching her face. He had no fucking idea what had just happened, whether she would be okay, but he had a feeling she might need him when she woke up.

Author's Note

Genuinely so sorry for the wait, ive been watching my views drop and drop without actually doing anything so thought I would do something about it.

Not to mention ive been GRIEVING after you know what so i was slightly preoccupied. But yk im in denial as usual so its fine tbh, ive been dealing pretty well.

Ugh guys summer is in full blast in the uk and its so crap like whats all the hype about? I dont want to go out because im terrified of the sweat and the stickiness and the bugs, hoenstly who decided summer was good?

Anyway i hope you enjoyed this complete repeat of a chapter, i promise more will happen than the same episode again and again xx