Mate Bonds and Moonlight

Start from the beginning

"Gwyn I—"

"I don't want to hear you tearing yourself down. I look at you and I see my savior. I see a fighter, a warrior. I see a male who would go to the ends of the universe to slay demons for his family. I see a gentle soul and a strong will. I see the male that I have been fated to. The male that I have admired and cared for and who has run through my thoughts for years. I see the male who deserves to be loved as much as he loves. I see someone who is flawed in similar ways that I am flawed, and who is still worthy."

A few tears fall down Azriel's face at her words, never having been told anything like that before. "Gwyn..."

"I know I need to talk about my truths and I know that it will take time and energy and effort for us to get to the point where we can be normal mates, if—if you decide that's what you want, but...I want more than anything for us to try. I want more than anything to be worth it for you too."

Azriel cups her face and brushes the pads of his thumbs over the sprinkles of freckles on her cheeks, gently placing her forehead on hers. "Gwyneth Berdara, I would be honored to try with you, if you will try with me."

She sniffles and nods, leaning into his touch and stroking his tears away from his cheeks. "Now that I've told you what I needed you to know and to hear, and it won't be the last time I affirm how great you are...let's go and grab some dinner hm?"

Her stomach grumbles a bit and Azriel can't help but let out a soft laugh, his shadows swirling around them happily, whispering noises of glee to him. "I agree. And I'm hungry too. I'm going to lift you up now, okay?"

"Okay", she whispers shyly, still gasping quietly when he scoops her into his arms, her own immediately snaking around his neck carefully.

He leaps off the balcony and she gasps more sharply, squeezing her eyes shut for a moment.

"Are you alright, Gwyn?"

"I—I'm okay, I just don't like the taking off, dipping thing...makes my stomach drop."

"I'm sorry."

"It's not your fault." He straightens out and widens his wingspan so they catch the wind more smoothly, gliding softly down towards the center of Velaris. "Is this better?"

Her eyes open and glance up at him, her breath hitching at just how utterly beautiful he looks as he flies. So serene and graceful, but also brutally gorgeous. Not to mention the warmth coming off of his solidly muscled chest that she was graced with during training a few times. "Much." She smiles when his shadows wind around her like a cushion and she believes she feels a brush of one of them against her cheek.

He lands firmly yet gracefully on his feet but continues to cradle her close to his chest for a moment before placing her down on her feet. "There we are", he says softly, not truly wanting to let go. "I meant to tell you when I arrived at the library, you look stunning."

Gwyn's face turns red again, but she smiles cutely. "Thank you. You look dapper yourself. A very different look from the Illyrian leathers or the training leathers or the armor. Still have your hand siphons though. They look good with your blue shirt."

Azriel grins, flattered. "The siphons are fairly permanent. It reigns in my power like a power bank, storing it for when I do need it. Without them, I may lose myself to the shadows, the powers of darkness I possess..."

Gwyn takes his hand and inspects one of the glowing, bright blue gems. "Blue is a good color on you. As for the darkness, I'd never want to lose you to it. I agree that it's best for you to be in control of it, and them", she says, motioning to his small wisps of shadows swirling around them, "rather than it controlling you. But...if it ever did become overwhelming and you were ever without your siphons for any reason, I would help you overcome it."