Silent in the Morning

Start from the beginning

"But why?" He asked again.

"I like you," She replied, trying not to go red at what she had just said. "As a friend, I mean. Don't you think you deserve a little help? Someone who cares about you?"

Eddie shrugged her shoulders, twisting at the rings on his fingers. "I don't know. Wasn't expecting it, I guess."

Jackie sighed, standing up. "Yeah, well, I think you do," She walked over to the toaster, waiting for the slices of bread to pop up. "I think you deserve a lot of things."

"Maybe I'm just not used to it," He offered up. "I mean, you were the only one of your preppy-athlete-activities friends who used to be nice to me. And then you left, and I was a freak again. I mean, I always was, they always called me that, but they stopped when you were around. And I used to have you there, so there was always one person outside of Hellfire that I knew wasn't going to shit all over me with their stupid inflated egos and self-righteousness. It made me feel a little less... freakish."

"I wish you'd stop calling yourself that," She scoffed.

"That's my name, sweetheart," He smirked, a hint of sarcasm on his voice with the nickname that he knows she dislikes. "It's what they all call me."

"Yeah, but it's not good," She turned around. "It's not even original. Like, they couldn't come up with anything better? That can't possibly make you feel good about yourself."

"Eh," He shrugged. "What can ya do, right?"

The toast popped out of the toaster and Jackie grabbed it, throwing it on a plate and sliding it across the table to him. "We have no butter, it's gotta be dry today."

"Sick," He muttered. "Thank you."

Jackie sat down across from him again. "I always thought you didn't care about that stuff."

"What stuff?" He asked, chewing on the dry toast.

"Opinions, what other people think about you."

"Shit, Jackie," He laughed quietly. "Everyone cares about that. Even just a little bit. Jesus, I can't believe I'm admitting this," He scoffed. "But, the world is pretty much ending, so I suppose now is as good a time as any to admit stuff."

"I feel like we've been admitting a lot of stuff lately," She raised her shoulders. "I mean, I can't say I'm super surprised."

"Why's that?"

"Eddie," She giggled. "You're like, a total softie."

He seemed taken aback by this. "No?"

"Yes!" She continued.

"I'm not- I'm not soft!" He argued.

"Eds, you watched the sunrise with me this morning."

"Can't a guy enjoy nature?"

"You let me braid your hair."

"Just trying something new."

"You cuddled me to sleep last night because I had a nightmare."

This time, she was sure that he was red. "I did?"

Jackie nodded. "I woke up to you spooning me."

"Oh shit," He rubbed his eyes. "My bad."

"I'm not complaining," She smiled. "It was kinda nice. It was sweet of you."

"Eh, maybe I am a little soft. So what?" Eddie tried to play it off, shrugging his shoulders. "Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do. And we both slept like logs afterward, I might add, so you can thank me."

She smiled, looking down at her hands. "Thank you."

A few seconds of silence passed before he spoke again. "I get them too, you know."

Jackie looked up. "Get what?"

"Night terrors, I mean," He explained, twisting one of the rings on his fingers as she spoke slowly. "For a long time after I moved in with my uncle. I had one the first night I was here, but I haven't had one since," He huffed out a laugh. "Which means I'll probably have one soon, so prepare yourself."

"I don't think I'll care too much," She shook her head lightly, her eyes crinkling as she smiled. "Makes us even."

The dimples in his cheeks appeared as he grinned again, grabbing her attention for a moment as he spoke. "Who knows, maybe you'll end up spooning me this time," He smirked, making her laugh again. "Damn, Hopper, you're really gonna ruin my reputation if we ever make it out of here."

Jackie laughed, ignoring the blush on her face. "Don't worry. As far as everyone else is concerned, you can still be the ever-intimidating, resident metalhead Eddie Munson."