Silent in the Morning

Start from the beginning

Eddie raised an eyebrow. "Any other plans?"

Jackie shrugged her shoulders, looking up at him. "Maybe. But that's the one I want right now. You?"

Eddie looked out at the lake, then back at her. "That sounds nice."

"I think we've earned a quiet morning, right?" She suggested.

Another signature smile crept onto his face again. "Yeah, I think so."

***

"Bad news, Munson," Jackie sighed, rummaging through the cabinets. "You're down to your last two pieces of toast."

Eddie kicked his feet up onto the chair beside him and leaned back into the one he was sitting on. "So, am I out of food?"

Jackie shook her head, taking the bread out. "Not exactly. You've got enough for today and tomorrow, but it's just one more box of mac and cheese and two cans of spaghetti-O's."

"Does this mean no breakfast tomorrow?" He raised an eyebrow.

"Unless you only eat one piece of toast today, or decide not to eat one of the spaghetti-O's or the mac and cheese today and have it tomorrow. Point is that you don't have enough food for three full meals today and tomorrow."

"Only one piece?" He asked, confusion on his face. "What about you?"

Jackie closed the cabinet, starting to take the bread out of the bag. "What about me?"

He gestured to the other slice. "You're not gonna have the other one?"

She shrugged. "Figured I'd let you have it. I usually get better food later when I'm running along. You need food."

Eddie shook his head, a dramatic look of disappointment on his face. "Jacqueline- what's your middle name?"

Jackie laughed quietly. "Anne?"

Eddie groaned, shaking his finger at Jackie. "Jacqueline Anne Hopper, breakfast is the most-"

"Most important meal of the day," She giggled. "Christ, who are you? My mom?"

Eddie laughed, crossing his arms over his chest. "No, but I am serious, Jackie-Anne. You can have it."

"'Jackie-Anne,'" She rolled her eyes with a smile, plopping the toast in the toaster. "And it's not like I'm not gonna eat breakfast. I'm gonna get something to eat when I head out later."

"I just think you should take the other piece," He held his hands up in defense. "That's all."

Jackie raised an eyebrow. "You worried about me, Munson?" She asked, a suggestive grin on her face.

For a moment, Jackie could've sworn that his face went red. "Uh, well, that wasn't my original intention..." He stammered. "I don't think- yeah. Kinda."

She huffed a small laugh as she sat in the chair across from him. "At least you're honest."

Eddie sat quietly for a moment, looking off into nowhere before speaking. "Can I ask you something?"

Jackie shifted in her seat, humming out a hushed response of approval.

"Why are you, uh, you know..." He waved his hand around in the air. An uncomfortable smile crept onto his face, trying to make this seem almost like a joke, something to make her laugh so that it would be less weird. "Doing all this, for me?"

"Oh," She straightened her back, shifting again. A strange question, one that she didn't know he was even thinking about. She didn't think that he should question it. "Well," She hesitated, trying not to say anything too blunt. "It's unfair. You shouldn't be in this situation, but here you are, and I want to help."