Chapter 16

After breakfast, I sat in the Woman's Room with Hadley and Olivia. I was writing a letter to my family while Hadley and Olivia played a game of cards.

"So Zara, where were you actually last night?" Hadley asked, looking up from her hand of cards as Olivia drew one from the pile beside them on the table.

"Hadley, she sorting her shoes. She already said that to Prince Osten," Olivia said, rolling her eyes dramatically. 

"Olivia, she said that because she was doing something else and got flustered in front of the prince," Hadley sighed, then she looked at me. "And I think, Zara, it is because you were with the prince last night."

"No, I...why would you say that?" I said, probably a bit too defensively.

"Because," Hadley said drawing out the last syllable of the word. "He is always staring at you. You are always looking to catch glimpses of him when you think no one is looking. He always likes to come around us, but it is clear he wants to see you, And yesterday, when you went to the library, I went by on my way to get something from my room, and I saw him go in after you."

"I'm sure it was just a coincidence," I said, though I could feel a blush creeping up my neck.

"Oh my gosh, Hadley is so right! I called this though. I knew you were going to be the princess!" Olivia squealed a bit too loudly.

I sighed and set aside my letter. I had never really had true friends before outside of my family. I had never wanted them. I had always been focused on helping my family and working as hard as I could to create a better life for them and for myself. But now, I had started to understand why it was nice to have friends, to have someone to confide in. A lot of things were changing in my life. I never thought I needed friends, and I also had never thought a boy would pique my interest away from my goals, especially one who somehow drove me absolutely insane while still making me feel so seen and understood. I never expected that boy would be a prince either.

"Okay, but you guys can absolutely not tell anyone this because we are keeping it private," I said as they leaned in closer at my words. "Yes, Osten and I did run into each other the other day in the library, and yes I might have been with him last night."

"Oh my god!" Hadley and Olivia both said at the same time. Hadley put her hand over her mouth, and Olivia bounced in her seat. 

"Shhh! Yes we were together, and yes I maybe do kind of like him, but we want to keep it private," I said quietly as I looked around to see if anyone else in the room was listening.

"But why?" Hadley asked. "Isn't the whole point of the Selection to date the prince? For him to find a wife?

"Yes," I said. "But, it is complicated. I never came here expecting I would be the slightest bit interested in him, but I have never met anyone like him in my entire life. It just scares me. I have always been so focused on going to university and helping my family to finally show everyone..."

"Show everyone?" Olivia asked.

"I haven't told you guys a lot about my life back home, but my family is very poor," I said quietly. "We get by okay, but my dad comes from a family of threes, and when he married my mom, his parents cut him off. I want to show my grandparents and everyone in my town that my family deserves the world, and I just can't get distracted here. But, Osten just makes me feel..."

"Omg! You call him Osten?!" Olivia whisper-squealed. I was glad she was quiet at least that time.

"Yes I do. He asked me to," I said.

Before Hadley or Olivia could respond, the usually humming room went silent. We all looked to the door and saw that Queen Eadlyn was walking into the room. I thought she was going to address us all as a group again, but instead, she started walking toward our table.

"Oh my god, I think she's coming to sit with us," Hadley whispered.

Hadley was right, Queen Eadlyn was coming for us. My stomach started twisting in knots, and my worries from breakfast when she was staring at me resurfaced. Did she know about Osten and me? Had he told her? Had she guessed for herself? 

Queen Eadlyn was dressed in a beautiful deep purple dress with a matching blazer over the top and high, high heels. I am not sure how she was able to walk in those, but the whole impression of the outfit was very regal. I had always thought she was so poised and regal on TV, but it was nothing compared to seeing her in person.

"Good morning, ladies," she said, flashing us the beautiful smile she shared with Osten. "May I join you?"

"Yes Your Majesty!" Olivia said eagerly.

Eadlyn laughed and sat down, smoothing her dress as she sat. 

"Now let me see if I have this right, you three are Lady Zara, Lady Hadley, and Lady Olivia, right?" she asked.

"Yes, Your Majesty," I said. My voice coming out a bit more squeaky than I had intended, but she smiled at me.

"Osten has told me about you three, he really is enjoying getting to know you so far," she said. "That is why I wanted to come over and introduce myself. I remember when I was going through my Selection and how hard it is to get to know everyone. I want to make an effort for Osten to get to know you. I am glad that my brother hasn't scared you all off yet. He can be quite an imp. It probably because he is the youngest."

"We all really have enjoyed getting to know him," Hadley said.

"Especially Zara!" Olivia added with a giggle. I could feel my eyes widen at her comment. Queen Eadlyn gave me a smile that was almost a smirk.

She had to know.

"Well I am glad to hear he hasn't driven any of you off. I will say though, Osten is not what the press and the media make him out to be. Of the four of the Schreave siblings, he has always had the hardest time figuring out where he fits into the Royal Family. He puts off the whole mischievous, trouble-making thing on to hide that he feels lost.He hasn't found his direction yet, and I think sometimes he feels trapped by his position. That is part of the reason we all decided he should have a Selections. My parents and I hope he might find someone who can help him find more in life."

At her last words, she glanced ever-so-slightly in my direction.

"Anyway, I need to go speak with my mother, but I wanted to come and say hello. Please don't be shy if I see you around the palace. It was lovely to get to talk to you all," she said as she gracefully rose from her seat and left the table.

"I think the queen thinks you're going to be the next princess too," Hadley whispered to me with a wink.