prologue

Life for the Bassett family was simple. A wealthy family hailing from Virginia, their wealth and status has existed for centuries before the British colonization of the Americas. Catherine had everything she could ask for. The year was 1776. Insurgents threatened the control of the British in the colonies. Catherine's family kept their allegiance with the British. Except for Catherine. She was a fierce patriot, though kept hidden from her family. She was a rebellious young woman, choosing to marry who she wished and doing whatever she wanted much to her parent's dismay.

And now she was almost at the age of 22, she was due to marry someone by now. Her eyes were set on a young man she had spent most of her formative years with since moving to Setauket: Benjamin Tallmadge.

Catherine planned on marrying him before he went off to war. Her parents forbid it. Instead, they planned on marrying her off to some wealthy landowner back in Virginia. She didn't want the marriage.

Though, she dared not say a word to her parents. She kept her mouth shut about her rebel sympathies. She kept quiet about her engagement with Benjamin. God forbid their plans to elope once he came home.

If he came home.

"Catherine, Henry Fairburn should be here in the next day or so," her sister said, idly sewing something for her unborn child. Catherine could care less about him.

"To hell with him," she muttered. She stared out the window, sitting on the harpsichord bench yet not playing.

"Watch it, Kitty," her sister sneered. Catherine tensed up at the use of her childhood nickname. Her family hadn't used it since she reached the age of 18. Benjamin and her friends used it.
The door to the Bassett estate opened and her father came barging in. He wore a red uniform coat and took off his tricorn hat upon entering the home. His hair was powdered to a grey color—as was the custom of the time.

"Father," her sister stood up. Catherine remained seated, turning to the sheet music on the stand. Her hands rested on the keys.

"Where's my wife?" Her father asked.
"In town. She went to go pick up Catherine's dress from the millinery," her sister informed her father.

"I would have rather someone accompanied her. It is not safe right now," he whispered to his eldest daughter. Catherine happened to hear it. Not long after Ben left, British forces began occupying Setauket. Now in the month of February and that occupation is still continuing.

"Why do you say that, father?" Catherine stood up, facing her father.

"Because we caught a rebel."

This was it. Her chance of escape. Of freedom from this nightmare.

"I can go get mother if you would like me too," she offered, repressing her smile.

"I would rather—"

"Please," she interjected, walking over to her father, "I know the safest route."

"I would rather her not be cooped up in here sulking like a child," her sister commented, taking hold of their father's hand.

"Margaret, do not encourage her," her father lightly snapped at her sister. Catherine bit her lip, waiting for her father to say yes.

"Just let her get mother. Give her an escort at the very least," her sister pleaded. Her father sighed and nodded,

"All right."