guys really suck*

guys really suck

*edited*

Throughout the whole week, Arizona and Arin hung out with me. Arin was always dragged back to the popular crowd at some point, though. Arizona also came over after school on Tuesday! I'm actually making a friend for the first time in ever!

Onto different, more pressing matters.

Friday had come sooner than I had expected it to.

The final bell is just about to ring. I turned and closed my locker , shouldering my backpack. I almost screamed because Arin was standing so close to me. I could feel his warm breath on my neck.

"See you at nine," he whispered in my ear.

I stood there frozen until the bell rang. I shook my head and walked out of the front door.

Today, I rode my bike, which my dad had finally taken off of the wall in the garage. I went and unlocked it from the bike rack and was about to get on when Arizona came running out to me.

"You were going to leave me, weren't you!" She called out to me.

I smacked my forehead. I forgot that Arizona was coming over to help me get ready for my date! And I forgot to tell her that I work my shift at the library tonight.

"Hey, so, small change," I said sheepishly. "I have to be at work in like twenty minutes."

"Oh, that's no problem," she said. "I live like right down the block from you. Call me when you get home."

We said goodbye and I got on to my purple bike and made my way to the library few streets over. I practically skipped through the walls of books, I was so excited for tonight. The library had been my sanctuary since I was nine. I had no friends, but somehow I found some in the characters in books. I seemed to lose myself in a story. Just escape reality all together.

"Hello Miss Hera. How are you today?" The head librarian asked.

"I'm fine, Carmina. What do you need help with today?"

"Well, we just got a bunch of returns. You could stack those," she said sweetly.

Carmina is extremely Italian. Sometimes I got jealous at her exotic beauty. Her long wavy black/brown hair. Her perfectly tanned skin. Her deep brown almond shaped eyes. Ugh, she was just too perfect compared to me- well, anyone really.

"Oh! Wait, Lacee," Carmina whisper yelled before I walked away. "There was a young boy in here asking for you. He didn't give me a name, though. I have never seen him in here before. But he did leave his number, if that helps. It's on the 'help' desk by the computer."

My eyebrows shot up. A boy was asking for me? There's a first. "Thanks. I'm gonna go put those books away now."

"Have fun," she whispered after me.

-

A half an hour later I was walking through my front door. I had already texted Arizona and she promised to be here in a minute.

I skipped up the steps and into my room. I stripped and hopped into the shower in my adjoined bathroom. I was belting out a Taylor Swift song when Arizona knocked on the door to tell me she was here. I screamed, slipped, and nearly died. She thought it was hilarious.

When I came out of the bathroom, wrapped firmly in a plush towel, I saw Arizona was lounging on my bed watching TV. She had cloths laid out next to her. A sheer black crop-top to go over a sky blue bustier and dark wash, low waisted jean shorts. Next to them laid a hot pink Victoria's Secret "add two cups" bra.

"You don't expect me to wear that, do you?" I asked skeptically and pointed to the racey (at least for me) clothes. "That's not even my bra."

"Yes and I know," Arizona said without looking at me. "Didn't think you would have a good one and we're the same size, so I figured you could use mine."t

"Why do I need to wear that?" I asked.

"To be festive, now get dressed."

I groaned, snatched the clothes, and went back into the bathroom to get dressed. I checked myself out in the mirror. I looked like a twig. My limbs were long and thin. Most kids thought I had anorexia, but really it's just an iron deficiency. My boobs did look nice as a C-cup, though, even if they were way out of place on my boney body.

I cautiously stepped out of the bathroom. I winced when Arizona's jaw dropped.

"Holy fuck!" She yelled.

I jumped at her and slapped a hand over her mouth.

"My parents are downstairs!"

Her "sorry" came out muffled through my hand.

"It's just," Arizona said. "You look like you could be a model!"

I blushed and mumbled, "Would you just do my makeup already?"

Arizona sat me down in my desk chair. She had already set all of my makeup out and must have brought over her flat iron. She straightened my dark hair, and by doing so made it a little longer. She put on neutral but shimmery eyeshadow, a thin line of black eyeliner, and black mascara that made my light blue eyes pop.

"Goodnight, honey," my mom called from the other side of the door. "Have fun at Arizona's house later!"

My cover story, cliche, I know. But as we've gone over, I'm full of those. If my parents wouldn't let me have contacts, lord knows what they would do if they knew I had a date.

"Goodnight!" Arizona and I yelled back.

When I was done getting ready, it was nearly nine.

"I better get home," Arizona said. "Don't want to be here when Arin comes."

We walked downstairs together. I sat down on the porch swing and she hopped off of the wrap-around porch and started down the sidewalk.

"Oh ya," she yelled, turning around to walk backwards. "No getting pregnant!"

"Would you shut up!" I called back, settling into the swing.

I watched her figure disappear over the horizon of cement. It's just a matter of time for Arin to pull up on the street.

-

I don't know how long it was before I was shaken awake. My mom was gently moving me back and forth.She pulled me up into a sitting position and wrapped a fuzzy blanket around my shoulders.

"I don't think he's coming, honey," Mom said.

"You knew?" I asked and rubbed my eyes, not even shocked. I don't think it even registered in my brain yet.

"Uh huh," she nodded. "Why don't we get you back upstairs so you can go to bed?"

I nodded and stood up. She kept a protective arm around my shoulder. I shuffled inside and up the stairs. The whole time she kept pace with me. Mom even tucked me into bed, which she hasn't done since I was five. And she kissed my forehead.

When she finally left, I rolled over and faced the clock. It flashed 3:37. Arin wasn't coming. There would be no date. This was all some sick joke.

Not funny, I thought as the silent tears came and I fell asleep.

I didn't come out of my bed, much less out of my room for the rest of the weekend. And I dreaded, for the first time in forever, going to school on Monday.