Chapter 15

Deck pulls over in a side street before getting out. I shuffle closer to the door and Deck offers me his hand, I take his hand and get out. "Ok ride's over. We've gotta lose this car" he says as he closes the door behind me and Hattie and Hobbs get out as well. We make our way to the streets to see mine, Deck and Hobbs' faces on the news, making us wanted men. "Just got real" Hobbs comments. "Who the hell are these guys?" Hattie asks. "Eteon, they're a secret tech cult with a mercenary army and plenty of dark money. And delusions of saving the world by augmenting the human race" Deck explains as we watch the news of our 'crimes'. "Apparently, they control the media as well" I add. "I've heard rumours about these people. Everybody thinks they're a myth" Hobbs says but Deck quickly replies. "I've seen first hand how real they are. If you don't fit into their plans, you've already dug your own grave" he says before Hobbs starts suggesting a plan.

"No, no, no. You don't get it do you? Brixton's a tier 1 assassin, best I've ever seen. I know him, he ain't ever gonna stop. Not until he gets that virus. Besides, that's my sister. Family business. Is your name Shaw? Nah. She's going nowhere with you" Deck argues and I sigh at him. We don't have time for this. "When it becomes the fate of the world, it becomes my business. I don't care if she's your sister, that woman ain't going anywhere-" Hobbs starts to argue back while I look at Hattie and nod my head down the street, asking if she wants to leave. She nods at me and we start walking away from the bickering children. "Where are you going?" both Hobbs and Deck ask us. "We're going away, we don't have time for your alpha male shit right now" I reply as we both turn around. "You're both idiots, you clearly can't work together so you're absolutely useless to me. So we're going to find the man who can help get this thing out of my system" Hattie adds before we turn to continue on our way. "You mean this man?" Hobbs questions, causing Hattie and I to turn around. "I was tracking him before the attack. He's hard to find but I think I got a hell of a lead. Russian newspaper" he explains as he shows a photo of the scientist. "Not just any old newspaper. There's only one place in London that sells that" Deck explains and we head for the newspaper stand.

Hattie and I wait on the street while Deck and Hobbs handle getting the scientist, Andreiko. He leads us to his lab and I walk besides Deck. "You're not mad, are you?" I ask him, trying to stay quiet as Hobbs and Hattie walk in front of us. "What? Why would I be mad?" he asks in surprise. "I was just gonna leave you, to help Hattie" I reply questioningly. I thought he'd be at least a little mad that I was going to just leave him. "No, I'm not mad. You were trying to help Hattie. I'm not at all mad at you for that" he explains, grabbing my hand and I relax at his words. "Ok, good" I reply with a sigh and he pulls me towards him and wraps his arm around my waist. He kisses my cheek before we enter Andreiko's lab.

We wait for Hobbs to finish his call with his daughter and Deck starts to get impatient so I hit his arm. He looks at me surprised and I give him a stern look before he sighs and raises his hands in surrender. Hobbs' daughter is lovely and Hobbs is a good father, he deserves to talk to Sam before this all goes crazy. "Tell us everything you know, about this" Deck tells Andreiko as Hattie raises her hand to show him the marks on her palm. "My god, when were you exposed?" he asks her. "About 30 hours ago" Hattie replies with a shrug. "Then the capsules containing the virus are still intact" he explains, somewhat stunned. "Then we need to neutralise it" Hobbs interjects. "No, it's not that easy. It's not programmed to one DNA sequence. It's fatal to everyone. In 42 hours, the capsules will dissolve and she'll be infected. Then the virus will be air born, we are talking global contamination within a week" Andreiko explains and I frown at him. "Why the hell would you create something like this?" Hobbs asks and I'd love to know the answer to that. "Because I thought I was one of them" Andreiko replies. "Eteon" Deck states. "They told me they wanted to save the world through science, I believed in their cause. I developed the snowflake to be a carrier for vaccines, a panacea for the whole world but they redeveloped it into a programmable apocalypse to attack the weakest, those not worthy of Eteon's vision" Andreiko explains and I'm completely stunned by his idiocy. "For a scientist, you seem incredibly stupid" I comment. "Well, I'm a two-time Nobel prize winner but who's counting" he replies while raising his hands and I glance at Deck to see him roll his eyes.

"Alright, you said the virus is programmable. So, reprogram it" Hobbs suggests. "I can't reprogram it while it's in a host" Andreiko replies and gestures to Hattie. "Just tell us how to get this thing out of me" Hattie pleads and I see her desperation to fix this. "Well, there are two options. And the first is easy" Andreiko replies. Thank god. "Go" Hobbs says before Deck says "Finally". We all look at Andreiko for him to explain the 'easy' option. "Kill her" he states blankly. "Excuse me" Deck responds while my eyes widen in surprise. "And burn the body of course" Andreiko adds. "Of course" Hattie and I repeat at the same time with a hint of sarcasm before Hobbs repeats it as well. "I mean really burn it" Andreiko elaborates. "Really burn it" Hattie confirms. "To ash" Andreiko elaborates further. "To ash" Deck repeats. "Beyond all recognition" Andreiko explains as if it's the most simple thing in the world. "Let's a assume that's not an option for us, shall we genius?" Deck asks while I shake my head. "Yeah, that doesn't work for us. Option number two" Hobbs asks. "There is a machine that can preserve her life and extract the virus" Andreiko explains calmly. "That should've been option number one" I question. "Because it's impossible to get to" Andreiko defends. "We'll decide what's impossible, where is it?" Deck responds confidently. "It's in the Eteon laboratory where the snowflake was developed. A secret facility, fortified by an army in the most god forsaken part of the world but if you go there, all of you will die" he explains and I sigh. That does sound impossible. "So basically, what you're saying is she dies no matter what" Hobbs summarises. "Well, who needs a drink?" Hattie asks and I glance at Deck. He looks back at me and nods before saying "I know just the place".

Hattie and Hobbs follow me and Deck into our London base. Hobbs and Deck tease each other, as usual while Hattie walks to the drink stand and makes herself a drink. I follow Deck to the computer and hop onto the counter. He smiles at me before continuing to type on the computer. "We'll head to someone in Moscow, an old friend. We have a long history" Deck explains as a picture of a brunette woman appears on the screen. "Considering your history with friends, how many bullets did you put in this one?" Hobbs asks and I glance at him and sigh. I don't think Deck needs to be reminded about how he killed his friend 8 years ago. "They can set us up with gear and I don't hear any other ideas" Deck argues back, seemingly frustrated. "You know as well as I do, getting out of this country is going to be extremely difficult. We have every intelligence agency hunting us down" Hobbs explains. "And there's the fact you disgraced MI6 when you betrayed your team" Hattie interjects and I look at Deck to see him conflicted. "Don't believe everything they tell you" he replies before taking her picture.

Deck and Hobbs argue about how to travel to Moscow before Deck explains his plan and gives Hobbs and Hattie a change of clothes. I take my file to read over my fake identity and leave the room to change into something different. I leave the room in my long skirt and blouse with my hair pinned in a bun and meet everyone else to leave for the airport. I get through security and meet Deck and Hattie before I hear a commotion from behind me. I turn around to see men surrounding Hobbs. "And they've stopped him for what exactly?" Hattie mutters to Deck. "Whatever it is, it's gonna involve a body cavity search. Let's go" he replies and gestures for us to continue to the gate. I look at him in disappointment but he only looks away as we walk to our gate.