Chapter 1: I told you so

Start from the beginning

"Oh, can't you just go away?"

"Nope, I actually won't. It's just too much fun."

"Just go have some fun elsewhere." The officer is perplexed. Did he just answer? The culprit shakes his head. "They just always have to irritate me. Is it that much fun to irritate me?" The officer blinks his eyes a couple of times and waves his hand in front of the culprit. No reaction. He stands upright again and then leans with his elbow on the culprit's shoulder. He moves his elbow a couple of times to plant it nicely into the shoulder. The culprit moves and rotates his shoulder and head as result.

"Just sit quietly, I got to think."

"Why does my shoulder suddenly hurt and feel heavy?" He really cannot see him. Well, this should be enough to know for sure that he cannot see him. The officer stands back right on his feet again and walks a small circle to end up again behind the culprit. The culprit loosens his neck and shoulders. The officer puts his chin on the culprit's head and then his arms loosely over the shoulders.

"I'm bored", the officer sighs and yawns. The culprit opens another folder. Although the officer watches along with sleepy eyes, they turn active again when he sees the data in the folder. It's him, the officer. In a fast movement, the culprit turns around and the officer's head falls a bit. Now they look at each other. Eye-to-eye.

"I know, you're there. I don't know-how. But you're there. Just so you know, you'll never catch me." The officer looks perplexed at the determined face that looks through him. His watch beeps to alert him that his heart rate is almost too high. Without having the time to control his heart rate, he flashes back to his body and wakes up.

"Shoot." He sits straight up in his bed. "What just happened? Why did I wake up?" He rubs his temples, but only some images from his dream pop up. "Did I dream of eating fast food? But it actually wasn't, but in the end, it still was, and then we had to catch the owner for conning. What the...?" He sights and looks at the clock. "Well, I will go at the end of today again. At this moment, I don't have enough time to visit him." He goes back to sleep and wakes up peacefully when the alarm rings. After his morning run, the working day starts. It goes smoothly. They are closer to catching their target, and while looking for eyewitnesses, they had to listen to the problems of the elderly about the youth who wishes for innovations, while it's already fine the way it is now. He's glad when he can go home. He exercises for an hour, showers, eats, and looks at the notes about the culprit.

"I certainly could add something if I didn't wake up suddenly. There is something fishy otherwise I wouldn't have suddenly woken up. Tonight. Tonight I'll get him to stop. He had enough time." He looks at the clock and sees that it should be fine to go to sleep now.

At a slow pace, so his heart does not exceed 100 beats, he walks through the park. It's close to midnight so not many people are outside. Except for that one foreigner who comes running to him. She stares directly at him as if she wants to look through him, which she naturally does. He stands still. Can she see him? She stops right before him and breathes heavily. Her blue eyes stare at him while they minimally shift between big and a bit narrowed eyes synchronic with her breathing. Her short hair is in a little ponytail to keep her hair out of her eyes. He pulls up his eyebrows and looks at her patiently to await her hysterical reaction. She must think he is a ghost, angel, or someone with attachments to religion for sure. But it doesn't come. Instead, she asks angrily at him: "Can't you just go along?" He stares back blankly. The two people, actually the person and the soul, stand there a couple of seconds without moving an inch. After it becomes too awkward, he steps aside, but instead of continuing her run, she puts her hands on her knees and gasps for air.

"Just give me some space to breathe, okay?"

"Can she see me or not? I know I am handsome, but not that much that she literally loses her breath." He bows over to see her face. She blurts something in another language which sounds like Korean and shows a forced grin. For a moment he does not dare to move as he does not know what this blue-eyed person is. Until her breathing becomes controlled and effortless again, he stands diagonally in front of her, bent forward to see her face.

"Goodness!" She suddenly stands up straight again. He moves along and frowns. "Don't be this weak!" she screams before running off. His eyes follow her for a moment while trying to comprehend the situation.

"So she couldn't see me, but her heart rate should have been over 180, no? But didn't she answer me? ... What just happened?" He runs his fingers through his hair and scratches the top of his head while doing so. Hesitantly, he takes a few steps to where he has to go, stops, and looks back again to see if she is still alive. After verifying that she still runs without looking back, he continues his way to the hiding place of the culprit. "I guess this encounter can be in the top 10 weirdest encounters with people. Why does she talk that much, with whom, and which language?" He shakes his head. Within a few minutes, he arrives at his destination. With the expectation of seeing his culprit behind the computer, he walks through the door. It is left with an expectation. The culprit does not sit behind his computer. He does not sit. Actually, he is not there at all. The officer lets out a small curse and walks to the desk where he finds a paper.

I told you so...