Fire and Blame

Zacznij od początku

"Ah, my darling," he greeted warmly in that open, honest way of his that she had learned was as genuine as it was performative. "Stunning. You are absolutely stunning."

"You are going to run out of compliments to give me one of these days."

"I can't imagine I will, since you always manage to impress me with your beauty." He brought her hand up and kissed it reverently. "Though, I am willing to subject myself to the sight of you, every single day, to prove myself wrong."

She chuckled, shaking her head at him. She knew that he meant every word he said now, and that knowledge often stole her breath whenever he talked to her like this. It was just so different knowing that he was being honest.

A few days ago, she had woke with the sad proof of her lack of conception staining the sheets beneath them. She hadn't been inconsolable, but she was definitely disappointed and the feeling had stayed with her through the day. Not helped by the fact that she was hurting through most of it and all the relaxing teas in the kingdom weren't helping.

Jacques had pulled her miserable self into his arms as they laid in bed, as he always did, and kissed her like it might be their last chance and he wanted to savor every second.

"There's no need for disappointment, my dear," he had said, one hand massaging her aching lower back as the other pet her hair. "All that this means is that we get to try again."

He was good to her. So good, it seemed unreal. She wanted, again, to accuse him of exaggeration, but she could only hold her tongue. Even thinking of it reminded her of the dark challenge in his gaze when she said it before.

Jacques genuinely meant every word he uttered, and woe be to the fool, including her, that dared to doubt his sincerity.

"Come. Let's go open your academy," he said, tucking her hand into his arm before leading her to their aircab.

He didn't sit across from her this time, though. Instead, he sat right beside her, their fingers laced together, as he pulled her in close so she could rest her head on his chest.

"Feeling any better today?" He asked, his tone softer now that they were alone, but his warmth and affection still just as powerful.

"I do," she nodded, relaxing into his half embrace. "All the pain is gone."

"Thank the good Lord," he sighed, relieved. "I don't remember your monthlies ever being this painful before."

Manon chuckled, still a bit shy discussing such a topic, even with her husband. "They usually aren't, but they also are rarely the same exact thing twice. And the most random things and events can affect them. Who even knows why they were so demanding this month."

He shook his head. "I shall never understand the female body."

"Oh, I don't know about that," she purred, running her fingers down his chest. "You seem to do all right by my judgment."

He gave her a heated look. "Careful, wife. I haven't touched you in days and I find my control in that regard wearing quite thin."

"Did you not hear me?" She smirked. "I said, I was feeling better. The pain isn't the only thing that's gone."

"Really?" He turned towards her, interested as the ship was flying out of the docks. "Do you think we have time before we get to the academy?"

"We most certainly do not," she laughed, smacking his shoulder. "And don't you even consider it. I'm not going out to meet all those ladies with my hair and dress askew because you couldn't wait for a few hours."

He groaned, burying his head down into her cleavage. He rested his face right between her breasts, nuzzling between them like they were soft pillows there for his comfort.