Small Defeats

(A/N)Oh my gosh guys I'm so sorry i haven't updated in FOUR MONTHS HOLY COW I feel like moffat right now so sorry. I don't even have a good reason I just forgot I started this fic and omg so sorry for the hiatus. There's been a lot of fires in my area so I won't be able to update for a little while, but here's a short chapter so you know I am writing again. I AM SO SORRY GUYS OMG.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A commanding voice pierced through Eren's flashback.

"Oi! What do you think you're doing?"

Eren could feel a sharp tug on his throat, and he took a reluctant step back. "Bastard." he choked out between coughs. Corporal grinned wickedly and chuckled.

"Oh, I'm sorry. Was I interrupting something, brat? Did you want to play with your buddies? Do I really need to remind you that you are nothing on this ship. You do not want to piss me off."

Corporal strode towards Eren until he was within inches of his face. Corporal yanked the chain around Eren's neck until he dropped to his knees, and proceeded to knee him in the stomach. Oxygen deprived and in pain, it took Eren a moment to place the sounds in the background as Armin screaming at Corporal to stop. He looked up and saw the little blonde straining against his restraints and yelling.

Eren was shocked to say the least. "Armin stop it," he choked out. "It isn't worth it." Armin stopped struggling and looked at Eren incredulously. "That's all you have to say? It's not worth it?

If my best friend getting beaten half to death during the night and receiving even more torment right in front of me isn't worth it, what is? Where the hell is your fi-" The crewman overseeing Armin and Mikasa finally stepped in, pulling Armin back to the sail's hoist.

"Control your mutt Corporal." he growled.

Corporal gave a humorless grin, eyes glinting with malice.

"Ah, but this is so entertaining. More dramatic than a soap opera."

Eren looked at Armin and Mikasa, giving a small shake of his head to say, "Later, be patient."
They both hesitated for a moment before nodding reluctantly. They turned away from him and picked up the rope again, and Eren turned to look at Corporal.

"Well? Don't you still have to parade your example around the ship? Let's go."

He started foreward, only to have Corporal tug on the chain around his neck.

"I decide when we go, shitty brat. Don't presume I'm going to let you keep talking as if we're equals. I own you. Start acting like it before I beat you again."

Eren glared at him, before remembering the free hand Corporal used just a few moments before. He turns his head to look at the horizon and nods once to show he's backing down. Corporal gives a satisfied smirk and murmurs, "Good. Now let's go."

Eren starts forward before Corporal can yank on the chain around his neck again, and focuses on walking without falling. He already knows Corporal won't wait for him if he does. As he walks down the length of the ship, Eren can't help but wonder what the hell had made Corporal so bitter and controlling. As Eren contemplated this, he stared at the waves rolling along the horizon. He never saw the Corporal hastily pull down a sleeve slightly lifting up his arm.