The Beginning of the End

Eren Jaeger woke to the feeling of pain. He felt as if someone had injected acid into his veins, and pressure on his ankles and wrists made him grimace as he tried to lift his hands to his head. His eyes flew open in confusion as he heard the clanking of chains, and he squinted at the bright light flooding his vision. As his eyes adjusted, he looked at his wrists, which were bound in thick metal shackles. Suddenly, the events of the night before crashed through his mind like a tsunami, and terror took over. He cried out a hoarse "Mother!" Before a cold, unaffected voice spoke directly behind him.

"Quiet brat, or I'll have to punish you again."

Eren flinched, flashing back to last night.

Eren lashed out, screaming his mother's name. "Where is he?! Where the hell is the scum that killed her?!" he yelled as his captors dragged him across the plank connecting their main ship to the shore. He kicked out hard, feeling his foot connect with someone, and heard a small crunch over the sound of his own screams. Suddenly two powerful arms were holding his legs in place, and he was being dragged into a small cabin below deck. Eren felt himself being thrown onto the ground, and a deep voice with no emotion spoke behind him. "You are nothing on this ship, brat. You are no longer human. You're a dog. my dog, and I don't allow my dogs to bite." As the last words were said, Eren felt something solid connect with his ribs, and heard a sharp crack. Suddenly his chest was on fire, and more blows were being rained on him, his back, his legs, and the back of his head. With every blow came a burning pain that slowly spread outward from the point of contact. After what felt like hours, Eren's new keeper finally stepped back. Watching Eren as he tried to drag himself towards the only furniture in the room, a small twin bed, to help him stand. His "keeper," watched passively as he dragged himself back onto his feet, and turned unsteadily to face his tormentor. A man, short in stature, with raven black hair in an undercut. He was pale, with thin lips and narrowed eyes. Eyes the color of frozen steel, pale, gray, and emotionless. Eren drew himself up to full height, looked the man who had beaten him to a bloody pulp in the eyes, and sat heavily on the twin bed. After a moment, Eren looked to the floor. "What do I call you then?" he said quietly.

"You'll call me Corporal."