A Night of Dreams

She was sitting on the bed, surrounded by a well-decorated room, petals, candles and heart-shaped balloons. She was feeling very tired after the long-drawn yajna in front of the fire altar and the heavy jewellery and clothes made it difficult to breathe. She stepped down from the bed, and went over to her packed suitcase, trying to open the lock. Someone has packed the new trolley too tight and it was not opening. She was so engrossed in her fight with the trolley, she did not see him step in utterly shocked to find his new bride, in her full attire fighting to open a trolley lock. A smile appeared. This is the Roshni he loved and chose.

" You need any help?" His voice startled her. She got up looking at him with her tired kohl filled eyes.
" No, I just need to take out my clothes for change and this damn thing...." She stopped staring at the packed trolley in anger. He closed the door behind him before moving across her to the trolley, giving it a push and the thing opened and some clothes that were overpacked came out on the floor.
" Ohh no, Who packed this surely doesn't know how to pack bags." Roshni thought aloud.
" Must be Phool then."
" I heard you!" She looked at him and her stare made him stop chuckling.
He went over to help her pack again. By then she had removed the dupatta and her nose ring hung from a side. He stared at her for a moment.
" Go to sleep, you are tired."
His words made her turn and have a good look at him, this guy was the same one teasing her about this night ever since they dated.
Her stare made him smile, " What? You want to do something else?"
That teasing smile again. She looked away a little red.
" Ohh I almost forgot, I got something for you."
" What?"
" Close your eyes." He made her sit on the bed.
She sat eyes closed as he goes to a drawer and takes out a box and brings it back to her, then he sits on one knee takes her feet on his knee and takes out a pretty-looking Payal from the box. His touch on her feet made her conscious and she stared. " What are you..."
" Here, this way I will always know when you are coming." He smiled.
" Why? Am I some sort of cow?" Her face was funny.
" No, No, you are a wildcat!" He drags her by her waist. " A Wildcat I so want to Tame!" She looked at his eyes and gulped. There was something else in them tonight apart from love. He kissed her forehead. She hugged him.

His hand moved from her waist up to her choli and she shut her eyes in anticipation. He smiled reading her thought and moved away.
" Which side?"
" Hein?" Roshni looked all confused.
Pratap repeated his line, " Which side? Of the bed?"
" Right, maybe, I dunno, I sleep alone!"
" Well, now you don't Madam!"
" Left..."
" Decide, fast, am sleepy!" He folded his hands on either side and looks at his bride.
" Left."
" Sure?"
" Yeah."

He pulled a pillow to his side, making his bed. She sat at the dressing table opening her heavy jewellery.
" Are you Okay?"
" Yes, I am."
" You are not going to cry anymore are you?" His voice sounded guilty.
" No am not." She smiled at his questioning. She opened her long hair from the bun and let it loose. Taking her clothes with her she proceeded towards the washroom.
" Wait."
" What?"
" Maasa said am supposed to find my name in your mehndi."
Roshni laughed, " Since when did you start listening to people?"
" Ever since those were in my favour."
She held out her hands with a smile and he searched like a hawk in vain.
" What the... it's not there!"
" Really? What's this?" She points at the Hindi letters.
" Ohh I thought that will be in English..." He gave a silly smile that made her laugh.
" Stop laughing so loudly." She stopped.
" Why?" She whispered.
" If someone hears you laugh like that on your wedding night...." She gives him a look before going to the washroom. She came out in a Kurti and pyjamas, the only jewellery she had on was her wedding bangles, the ones Jaivanta gave, his ring, his payals and the mangalsutra.
" Who bought this?" She asked pointing at the mangalsutra.
" Maasa."
" It's beautiful." He went to change into his not-so-comfortable white kurta n pyjamas.

" Wait..."
She starts talking, moving around the room in circles telling him all the funny things that happened and all the times she enjoyed in the last week. At first, he was replying with enthusiasm, then he just lay there listening to her banter and didn't know when he fell asleep. Roshni turned around to see him sleep like a baby. She smiled before turning off the lights, in the dim light of the candles, she saw him sleep peacefully, facing her as she snuggled close to him, he in his subconscious mind put his arms around her.

The next morning, Pratap woke trying to recollect where he was. He didn't remember when he fell asleep. He looked around the room and she was not there. He sat up to notice the door was bolted from inside. Her humming in a soft voice came from the bathroom and he laid back again acting all asleep when she came into the room. Her hair was wet, on one side, and no extra jewellery over last night's ones she was wearing a beautiful pink saree his mother had gifted her. She sat on the dressing table applying sindoor on her forehead. She could see him staring at her, forgetting to act asleep. He had no idea she looked so beautiful in the light of the dawn.
" Good Morning!"
Her voice broke his trance as he nodded with a smile.
" When was I asleep last night?"
" You were bored to sleep by my stories." There was a hint of complaint.
" Am I in trouble already?" He asked getting to the washroom.
" No." She smiled," You will be, next time this happens."
" Ohh Warning!" He smiled.

When he came out of the washroom, his heart skipped a beat at the sight. She was standing on the balcony, bathed in sunlight, her hair done in a bun casually and her eyes radiant with Kohl. He walked up to her from behind and took her hand and kissed it, she turned around to look into his eyes with a smile and he kissed her. On her cheeks, forehead and lips. She hugged him. This was the start of a new life. Pratap felt complete with her in his arms.