chapter 3 - Fine Line Between a Monster and a Hero

Start from the beginning

Max looked at them sadly, while the others were sympathetic.

Ruby and Billy pulled away.

"I'm gonna fix this, no matter what the fuck I have to do," Ruby told him.

Billy smirked slightly in amusement. "Well, you managed to fix possession with the Mind Flayer, so I don't doubt it."

Ruby managed to chuckle. "Yeah, but that one had too close of a close call with both of us almost ending up dead. Let's hope this time doesn't end up the same."

Billy nodded in agreement. "Let's."

The group had to wait for the helicopter to be gone before risking going outside.

Hailey looked at Nadia. "Do you have a place to stay tonight?"

"No," Nadia answered. "I was gonna try a motel or something, but..."

"Don't be ridiculous," Steve told her. "Our parents are out of town like usual. You can stay the night at our place."

Nadia looked at Hailey and Steve, only slightly surprised, not all that much, nodding in agreement. "Okay. Thanks."

Hailey and Steve nodded.

Dustin and Robin were keeping a look out.

"All right, I think the chopper's gone," Dustin told them.

"If we're gonna leave, now or never," Robin told them.

Hailey, Steve, Nadia, Ruby and Max nodded in agreement.

Dustin, Hailey, Steve, Nadia and Robin snuck outside.

Ruby backed away from Billy, letting her hand slip out of his as the two's eyes remained locked, and Ruby turned to leave with Max.

Ruby and Max glanced back at Billy and Eddie, who both nodded reassuringly, before Ruby and Max left with the others to head outside to Nadia and Hailey's cars, getting in, and driving away, having to be quick and careful and staying hidden to be sure not to be caught, not yet knowing that Sullivan was leaving the city to head out of state to visit one of the people on the inside of the American government that was keeping them safe.

Ruth, Nevada

Sam Owens' House - Kitchen

Owens' wife was doing dishes in the kitchen, only stopping when she noticed that all of the dishes and pans started to shake and rattle.

When a rack of pans fell down onto the island counter behind her, she let out a gasp of shock.

Outside, a helicopter was arriving, the sound of the blades whirring audible from inside the house, revealing the chopper was the reason for the shaking and falling dishes, as a bright light shown in through the window in front of the sink, right into Owens' wife's eyes.

Owens' wife had to raise her hand to shield her eyes from the light of the helicopter outside.

Living Room

Owens' wife went to wake him, as he was sleeping on a recliner. "Sam."

Owens woke up, seeing the blinding light shining in from outside, turning his head to look out the window next to him.