Chapter 26

Tranquil

"Are you feeling much better now?"

I nodded. He brought me to the hospital's garden. Bumaba siya saglit sa cafeteria at um-order ng iced coffee at tubig.

"Thank you, I really wouldn't know what I'd do without you here."

He gave me a sad smile. "No, I'm sorry. I should've known from your actions earlier that you're in no way comfortable doing this. Sana nagpapigil na lang ako."

"It's funny, noh? I always look so tough in school, hindi ngumingiti. Parang anytime ready na manapak. Tapos iyakin pala. Sorry you had to see something unsightly kanina," I joked.

"You bared yourself weak. It's okay to be vulnerable sometimes. It's not something that you should be embarrassed about."

Hindi na ako nagsalita pa at tumingin na lang sa overlooking view dito sa garden. This is healing. I can already feel myself getting calmer.

"You know, my brother and I... we were never close. We have a 4-year age gap. Kaya nung nagka-isip ako, nag-aaral na siya. Add to the fact that I have a weak constitution as a child and had to spend most of my childhood in this very hospital, we never really had that siblings bonding time," pagsisimula ko.

Pierre and I started communicating only when I turned 7. I was so curious about him, what he does and who's he with. At first I thought he was annoyed by me, but whenever I try to do my homeworks the same time as him, he'd never object. He sometimes end up tutoring me on subjects I find hard to understand.

Would that be considered bonding? I was never allowed to play physical games. Siya, kasama ni Gabriel madalas na nagbbasketball o kasama ni Tate na magsswimming habang ako naman eh sa doll house ko lang pwede.

When he got into senior high school, I see him less often. Hindi na kami nagkakasabay sa paggawa ng homework. He'd get home late, sleep late and leave the house early in the morning. Kahit weekends eh wala siya sa bahay dahil na rin sa mga seminars and school projects.

When he reached college, he left the house. Malayo-layo ang bahay namin sa De Valle kaya naghahanap siya ng apartment na malapit sa university. My parents was okay with the idea as long as he come home every weekends.

Minsan pag-umuuwi siya, he'd spend some time with me. Dahil hindi ako pinapayagang lumabas ng bahay, nagttake out kami or manunuod ng movie. Magkkwento siya minsan ng experiences niya sa college, kung gaano siya ka-busy maging Student Council president at i-handle ang majors niya sa college.

Madalas naman, uuwi siya sa bahay pero mag-oovernight sa kaibigan o may get-together magbabarkada.

On his graduation day, I was allowed to attend by my parents. It was my first time to be in a ceremony like that. There were too many people but all of them looked so excited.

When he delivered his validictorian speech, everyone was in awe and hooting for him. He's got a wide smile that I've never seen before. Everyone was laughing at his jokes and some tear up when he started getting serious on his speech. When he was done, he was given a standing ovation and applauses.

That was the time I realized that even though we shared the same flesh and blood, there are other people who knew him better than me, his sister.

My world was too small at that time. It only consists of my family, relatives and dancing. And this world, the world my brother is living in, is massive.

I wanted that world.

He introduced his girlfriend Hera to us then. He said they've been together since senior high school and he just wanted to finish school before introducing her to us.