𝐏𝐑𝐎𝐉𝐄𝐂𝐓 𝐏𝐄𝐍 : 𝐒𝐓𝐀𝐆𝐄 𝐎𝐍𝐄✨

Start from the beginning

Hastily, he switched off his phone. Expecting the worst, he lowered his head to avoid eye contact with his mother and clasped his phone tightly behind his back.

"What is wrong with you? You want everybody to see the house? ehn? I don't blame you." She said, disdainfully, her eyes moving behind him to his father asleep on the chair. "I don't blame you at all."

Snickering, Ife walked towards her brother, and swung an arm over his shoulder." Mama, let it be. It's just the sitting room. Besides," she added, rubbing his head."He's seventeen. He's old enough to know what is right."

Scowling, her mother looked between the two of them and shook her head. No point with these two. Even with eight years of difference between them, they stood up for each other.

Suddenly, a thought flashed through her mind. Hiding her smile, she spoke, "Ehen, Ife you can be going. Bye-bye."

Shocked at the sudden change of mood in their mother, Ife and Jide stared. The bright glow of the fluorescent light overhead didn't match the glow in her eyes. They knew that glow, she had planned something.

Against her will, Ifechukwu released her brother and walked towards the brown oak door, glancing over her shoulders at intervals to see her mother waving. Warily, she pulled open the door, smiling when a fresh gust of air hit her face, pressing the linen gown she had worn to her lap.

Throwing one last glance over their shoulder, she waved and then shut the door. Out of memory, she weaved her way through the fleet of cars and plants and walked out of the compound, her sandals slapping against the cobblestoned floor.

The sky was ablaze with the setting sun, creating vague shadows from the dappled sun that shone through the trees lining the side of the street.

The sounds of boots crunching dry leaves reached her ears and Ifechukwu froze. Glancing at her side, she saw the looming shadow of a figure next to her. Breathing frantically, she turned.

No one was there.

Clutching her bag, she hastened her steps, grateful their house was two blocks away from the estate gate. Immediately after she reached the gate, she signaled the security men by crying out."Help! I think someone is following me."

Two hefty men dressed in a blue security uniform, jumped out of their small yellow building instantly alert. Suddenly, they halted, looked behind her then began laughing."It's just your brother ma'am."

"Jideofor?" Ife asked voice laced with confusion as she whirled around." Is something wrong with you? Do you know you scared me?!" she snapped, the moment her eyes met his.

"I'm sorry. Mama said I should follow you. I didn't..."

Seeing Jide sad, Ife's heart softened. In a few strides, she got to his front and pulled him close, cuddling him." It's okay. I've kuku reached the gate, Just help me and stop Keke."

On the road, they both moved towards the Junction and watched as bikes zoom passed, flailing stones towards them. A Keke passed but it was filled.

"Let's cross, we might see at that side." Jide declared, already moving to cross the busy road.

As Ife made to move, a dizzy spell overcame her and she wavered on her feet. Jide didn't notice. She was glad. Her brother didn't know she was a sickler. She wanted to keep it that way.