𝐏𝐑𝐎𝐉𝐄𝐂𝐓 𝐏𝐄𝐍 : 𝐒𝐓𝐀𝐆𝐄 𝐎𝐍𝐄✨

Start from the beginning

Introducing our very first Contestant in the Project Pen house. Ladies and Gentlemen, let us give it up for.......

Drum roll🥁

AYINKUS 001

SENTENCE PROMPT: SHE GAVE THE BEST HUGS

TITLE: Hugging Death

"Ife, Ifechukwu, mmh I don't support this," Ayo stated for the fourth time, a mixture of anger and worry swirling through her as she stared at her daughter buckling her black sandals.

"Mama, Mama try and be calming down," Ife responded, straightening from her crouched position. Turning to her side, she grabbed her Jean jacket from the bed and slipped her arm into it.

"Calming down? Calming down ke?!" She screamed, her voice resounding through the small green room."Ifechukwu, Look at your condition for christ's sake."

At her mother's words, She gazed down at her well-rounded tummy peaking through her pink gown then shrugged.

Her 'Condition' as her mother so put it, was a pregnancy that had given her issues for the past seven months, but she wasn't going to let it stop her.

Smiling, Ife stood up from the bed till she was looking down into her mother's brown eyes. At fifty-two, Ayobami obiajulu was still as vibrant and vociferous as she has been when she first married. Only the faint crinkled skin around her eyes and few wisps of white hair indicated that she had indeed lived half a century."Mama, I'm pregnant doesn't mean I'm weak. I can find my way home myself. After all, I came here to visit you today, didn't I?"

"That one is different. Your husband dropped you off, why can't you just wait for him to come and pick you up?"She pleaded, trying to make her child see reason. She felt heavy with gloom as she stared at her youthful face.

With soft hands, she cupped her mother's cheeks and began softly, " Chike won't be back from work till 8, and it's already 5. I have things to do mama."

Still, Ayo stared at her, worry etched all over her features. Exhaling deeply, Ife wrapped her hands around her mother, resting her head in the crook of her neck. She knew her mother's weakness was a hug. Just one could pull down her barriers and dissolve her worries.

Reveling in the warmth of her daughter's hug, Ayo rubbed Ifechukwu's back slowly, enjoying the way her gentle hold soothed her."Stay safe, okay?"

Withdrawing from the hug, Ife held her shoulders, her heart squeezed at the weak smile on her mother's face."I will."

Satisfied she had pacified her, Ife picked up her sling purse and walked out of the room, her mother trailing behind her.

The squabble of the television welcomed them both back into the sitting room. Her dad was asleep on the black sofa, the remote dangling in his hand. Her younger brother, Jideofor, was on TikTok videoing the sitting room.

"So here's our quality black drapes from Dubai covering two large windows, A Persian rug from, well, Persia covering the marble tiles in the middle of the sitting room, and a-"

"jideofor!" Her mother snapped beside her, the single name dyed with so much venom that Jide froze as if stung."Are you mad? Drop that phone now!"