☆ | chapter 13 | ☆

Start from the beginning

"I need to find him." She said before walking away.

"I can come with ya if you want me to." Cory offered.

"No... it's okay." Evie said. "Thanks though."

☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

"Zack! How'd the mock go?" Mr Bell asked when the student entered his office in the PE Department.

"I can't do it sir." Zack exclaimed, not caring that Mr Simpson was in the room too.

"Do what?" Mr Bell looked up at the boy and his face fell at the sight of him. Zack's eyes were glossy, his cheeks were flushed, he was sweating and breathing heavy. "Hey, hey, hey, sit down mate."

Mr Bell tried to guide the young boy into a seat but Zack just shook his head and paced the floor.

"I can't do it anymore." Zack said louder. Tears streamed down his face. Mr Simpson quickly shut the door, knowing Zack wouldn't want people seeing this.

"I can't do it." Zack whispered collapsing to the floor, against the wall, curled up into a ball. He put his head in his arms and sobbed.

"It's alright, Zack, everything's going to be okay." Mr Bell said as he sat next to him pulling the boy into his chest, rubbing his back.

The two teachers shared a worried look as they watched their student break down.

Evie arrived home to see her brother pacing the kitchen.

"Oh thank fuck." She said, rushing to hug him.

"I've been looking for you for hours."

"Not very hard." Zack chuckled, he'd been in the house for hours.

"Shut up." Evie laughed at him before her smile fell. "What is it?" She asked seeing his serious face.

"I'm sorry." He whispered. "I'm so sorry Evie, I had to tell him. I told him everything."

"Tell who what?" She was confused.

Mr Bell then walked out from the hallway. Him and Zack both had a sheepish look on their faces.

"Him?! You told him?!" Evie exclaimed.

"I thought we were cool, you and me." Mr Bell joked.

"All the times you told me I can't tell anyone, just this morning you told me I can't tell anyone, I've kept my mouth shut for months just so you could tell someone anyway? How do you know we won't get taken into care?!"

"Evie, I'm sorry. I'm a hypocrite I know, but I couldn't take it anymore, I couldn't handle it. We're 16 now, they can't take us into care, that's what Mr Bell said anyway."

"And you think I could?" She shouted back. "Do you think I've been fine this whole time? He thinks I'm a fucking alcoholic for fuck sakes!" She pointed at the teacher who stayed quiet, knowing the twins needed to talk... or shout.

"You could've talked to me." Zack said, ashamed he never noticed that his sister was struggling.

"I could say the same to you." His sister retorted.

"We're 16 Ev... just." Zack sighed.

"He's right." Mr Bell said, deciding it was not time for him to intervene. "You two shouldn't be paying bills, doing a food shop, cooking for yourselves, you need to let me help you both out Evie. I just wish he'd told me sooner, I can't believe you two have been living on your own for months."

"Not like we had a choice... and we don't need help, we have money our Mum left." She said back.

"I'm not talking about money." Mr Bell sighed. "You two have exams, you need to study, you're kids, you need to have a life. I'll help you two out with the boring stuff like food shopping and maybe even cooking if you're lucky." He chuckled looking at the twins. Zack smiled but Evie still looked unsure. "And I won't say to anyone, legally, we're doing nothing wrong."

"I said I'd meet Missy." She mumbled, leaving the house, not sure what to think of everything.

what do we all think of Zack
telling Mr Bell and Mr Bell's reaction?
thank you for
all the love
🖤🤍