Chapter Twenty Six

Start from the beginning

There was the slightest shake to his head, before he turned back to me, "what did you do?"

"I went for a run." I gestured to the empty treadmill between Sam and Steve.

He didn't look as if he was listening. His eyes were staring out the window behind the treadmill, a silence darkening his face.

"What's wrong?" I murmured, "has something happened?"

He flinched a little as I spoke, but turned and looked down at me. "I..." he glanced at Nat, before taking a deep breath, "I haven't sparred with someone since... last time they weren't practice, or training." He squeezed his eyes shut, taking another deep breath before he finished his sentence, "If I spar, he could... maybe he could come back."

The room, which had been full of noise only minutes earlier, had now fallen quiet. Music had been paused and headphones were slowly pulled from peoples ears.

Thor placed his weights on the rack, leaning against them as he watched us.

I tried to think through an answer. I knew he was terrified of the Winter Soldier, or HYDRA re-appearing. I knew what he had been through was awful, and he had been dragged through hell.

But the Winter Solider had been nothing but protective and kind to me. Carrying me to safety, not leaving my side, making sure I was cared for.

"If he comes back, I promise, I will get you back."

"But-"

"I got you back last time didn't I?" I challenged him, figuring he might just need someone to convince him to do something else outside of his relatively small comfort zone.

Thor stepped forward, clearing his throat politely, "apologies, I know you did not want me to listen to your confession, but I may be able to help."

Winter and I watched as he approached. By my side, Winter let out a wavering sigh, "how?"

"I do not think you could best me in a duel. If we were to spar, as friends, then you could train. If your... soldier, comes to light, I could defeat him."

I glanced at Winter.

"If you're sure." Was all he said.

Thor almost laughed, but stopped himself. Instead, he reached his hand out, firmly shaking Winter's as a way of promising him.

Nat nudged my shoulder as she walked past, "he'll be okay. Thor is a great sparring partner."

I smiled, thanking her for suggesting the idea of Winter getting into the ring.

I wrapped Winter's hand for him, following his direction as he told me which part to wrap, and where to tuck the knot securely.

I stayed on the benches, watching as the men squared up to one another. Thor let Winter throw the first punch, and blocked him. He let him swing a couple more times, before he lunged forward on his leg, leaning to force his own arm forward.

Winter ducked, and quickly moved to the other side of the ring, avoiding Thor's fist.

There was a look on his face that I hadn't seen before. He looked, almost happy, but a different kind of happy than when he was with me.

His eyes were blazing, his lip turned up in an almost smile. He was moving quickly, with an ease on his feet that I hadn't seen recently.

I was so proud of him. My chest ached with pride as I saw him overcome the next stage of his fears.

I was glad he trusted Thor. They fought for around twenty minutes, and not once did the soldier make an appearance.

They ended with a handshake, which Thor used to step forward and embrace him like he would his brother. "I have enjoyed this very much," he said, "we shall do this again."